This blogger is not fair

Story: Canonical's Edgy EndeavorTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
nmset

Aug 06, 2013
2:22 PM EDT
(The lawyer) Does he want to become partner to MS because he buys Win8 ? partner to a car maker because he buys a car with a hybrid engine ? ... Do his clients reproach him of making profit from their distress ? ... That's how business goes ! He seems to be expecting to be paid so that others have the chance to count him as client !!!
djohnston

Aug 06, 2013
3:44 PM EDT
I really can't see how (the lawyer) is being unfair by offering his opinion(s). The main gist of his argument is that people are being asked to pay much more than fair market price for a device that does not even exist yet, even as a prototype. I agree that the indiegogo fundraiser seems like a longshot and is probably not the best way to get an Ubuntu phone to market. This seems to me to be another case of Canonical "throwing it against the wall to see what sticks".

More power to them if they can pull it off. It looks doubtful right now, though.

nmset

Aug 06, 2013
4:51 PM EDT
But if we compare existing devices specs (iPhone 5, Galaxy S4), we can't really say it's more expnsive than current market price. The Edge doesn't exist yet, true, but it can be built, true also. I am under the impression that people feel that Canonical is stealing away GNU/Linux so that it gets out of reach to every one else. Google did build Android on top of the Linux kernel in a fabulous way, but in a way also that the consumer doesn't even know it's running Linux, and in a way that knowledgeable users can't directly use that Linux kernel as they use to with GNU/Linux. Every one finds this normal, no one ever wished they could use their Android phone/tablet as they do with their PC's. Canonical aims at offering this possibility, why shouldn't we feel at ease with this endeavour ?
djohnston

Aug 06, 2013
6:09 PM EDT
Quoting:I am under the impression that people feel that Canonical is stealing away GNU/Linux so that it gets out of reach to every one else. Google did build Android on top of the Linux kernel in a fabulous way, but in a way also that the consumer doesn't even know it's running Linux, and in a way that knowledgeable users can't directly use that Linux kernel as they use to with GNU/Linux.

If anything, I believe Google's Android userland, (what should be the GNU portion), is much further away from the open spirit of GNU/Linux than Ubuntu's. Just my opinion. I'm not sure where you're going with the Linux kernel argument, though. I know that the first time I saw the bootup message "goldfish_pdev_bus: unable to reserve Goldfish MMIO" from a Liquorix kernel in Debian wheezy, I had to do a net search to find out what's going on. Turns out that is a message from Android components in the Linux kernel. And, as far as "directly using that Linux kernel", Android's kernel source page has this to say:

"If you are only interested in the kernel, you may use this guide to download and build the appropriate kernel."

How is that restrictive?

Quoting:Every one finds this normal, no one ever wished they could use their Android phone/tablet as they do with their PC's.

Again, I'm not sure what your meaning is there.

Quoting:Canonical aims at offering this possibility, why shouldn't we feel at ease with this endeavour ?

As I stated earlier, if Canonical can pull it off, more power to them. I've never been an Ubuntu fan. But, I certainly don't believe they should be excluded from the Linux ecosystem based on my personal preferences. That's just too narrow-minded.

jazz

Aug 06, 2013
7:20 PM EDT
Quoting:But if we compare existing devices specs (iPhone 5, Galaxy S4), we can't really say it's more expensive than current market price.

You are right, Ubuntu Edge could be an excellent phone. As a computer it will fail - a 6 year old Pentium 4 is more powerful than anything this guys can build on ARM. They need to get both the phone and the computer competitive.

The only relevant performance comparison between x86 and ARM I can find is this:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/160320-intel-bay-trail-...

The article starts like this:

Quoting:Bay Trail-T, clocked at just 1.1GHz, is around 30% faster than Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.3GHz, the fastest ARM chip on the market.

Note: "just 1.1GHz"

dag

Aug 07, 2013
12:20 AM EDT
maybie maybie not there are advances in miniaturization. will we have a top of the line computing machine absolutely not. what we will have is a machine that can handle a desktop at resonable rate.

I do agree that I would like to see this technology advance.
nmset

Aug 07, 2013
6:23 AM EDT
>what we will have is a machine that can handle a desktop at resonable rate.

That's what I expect too, not really from a phone, rather from a tablet. I already use the Pengpod on a daily basis at work and my main heavy application is Apache OpenOffice. Despite its single core A10 CPU, this tablet is quite comfortable. There are some rough edges, but it confirms that a 4 core CPU tablet with at least 1 GB RAM WILL be comfortable for desktop usage.

@djohnston My point was that Canonical proposes a Linux OS for handheld devices which is closer to what Linux users already know, which Google did not do, prefering its own business requirements above all. No one ever cared that Google could gain much power with this, but many do feel concerned or fear that some other company get some power in that field (and this gets us back to the blogger). It's this last point that I can't understand,though I do recognize that every one is free. I have never used Ubuntu neither, but I would be happy to be able to choose between tablets running GNU/Linux on glibc.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!