Does no-cost software harm consumers?

Story: FSFE opposes claim that free software harmsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Aug 15, 2013
1:27 PM EDT
Does no-cost oxygen harm consumers?

Do no-cost jokes harm consumers?

Do "pot-luck" dinners and picnics harm consumers? Does BYOB? In that case, the widespread practice of having friends over to dinner or a party, (not to mention making daily meals at home or bringing sandwiches to work) must do far far more harm to the economy than the odd bit of software.

Of course, I'm not as smart as those guys at Microsoft and Oracle -- so I probably just don't understand.
jdixon

Aug 15, 2013
1:39 PM EDT
> Of course, I'm not as smart as those guys at Microsoft and Oracle -- so I probably just don't understand.

Well, that's their take on it at least. :)
Bob_Robertson

Aug 15, 2013
1:46 PM EDT
The insanity of this position is that Linux is libre. If the "competitors" don't like paying for their base OS, then don't. use Linux too.
BernardSwiss

Aug 15, 2013
3:53 PM EDT
(I also wonder how Microsoft explains away the bit about MSFT earning more from their levy on Android phones than from Windows Phone).
skelband

Aug 22, 2013
11:23 AM EDT
Of course, Microsoft wouldn't be as deceitful as to give away "Express Editions" of their products...for nothing.
hkwint

Aug 23, 2013
6:16 PM EDT
BernardSwiss: Ever watched the movie Idiocracy?

The Sport drink company - Brawndo - bought the FDA and FCC and replaced water by sport drink. The crops stop to grow.

When somebody says they should use water, Brawndo stocks drop so much that the computer automatically fires 50% of all people and mass riots start.

A perfect example of how riotting Microsoft / Oracle -employees could harm consumers!
BernardSwiss

Aug 23, 2013
6:27 PM EDT
@hkwint : Yeah, kind of like that (I have to watch that one again)

Elsewhere I suggest that the problem isn't really Ballmer. He's taking the blame (profits have only doubled, and the stock is flat) for keeping the priorities that the investors really want. If they get someone that really commits to the kind of changes they say they want, they'll probably dump that reckless gambler.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!