Duplicate thread, already posted by bob

Story: Forced ExposureTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
caitlyn

Aug 20, 2013
6:31 PM EDT
Why does a King Crimson song come to mind: "I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat... The more I look at it, the more I like it..."
Ridcully

Aug 21, 2013
3:22 AM EDT
Mea culpa Caitlyn....... Bob warned me that there was a duplicate, however it looked very much as if he was pointing at another article close by. It turns out that there are two different stories. Guess I have to trust "bob" implicitly ......Oh well, no harm done. But I shall have to go and have a look at the thread on the first posting of the url.....
caitlyn

Aug 21, 2013
2:26 PM EDT
Don't worry about it, Ridcully. It certainly was the big story of the day yesterday. Better to have two than none.
Ridcully

Aug 21, 2013
5:15 PM EDT
No worries....(marvellous Australian expression that.)......I slapped my wrist most severely and Promised Myself Emphatically I Would Try To Avoid The Error In Future........LOL. And yes, it certainly was the big story.

As I remarked on the other thread, I am very distressed about its apparent collapse. It is/was such an important aspect of the Linux world and I am hopeful (if PJ remains adamant) that someone else will take up the mantle and continue her work. The huge crowd of contributors must have by now somebody capable of doing that work. Sure, they won't be PJ, but I am of the opinion that Groklaw whether continuing if PJ returns or forked if she does not, Groklaw should/must continue in some form. I view its work as crucial - or am I over-reacting ?
caitlyn

Aug 21, 2013
6:13 PM EDT
No, you're not overreacting. The site was incredibly important and presented legal cases, many poorly or not covered in mainstream tech or general media, in an understandable way. PJ, actually, is overreacting because the surveillance she is concerned about has gone on, at least in the U.S., at least since the Clinton administration. She, like many people, became more aware of it now. The danger of exposure she faces now is one she has always faced. Nothing has really changed except her level of knowledge.
Ridcully

Aug 22, 2013
5:43 AM EDT
Y'know what Caitlyn....I have Groklaw as one of my tabs in both my Chrome and Firefox browsers.......and I drop in out of habit......it's not nice to see it dead.

And thankyou for confirming my instincts.....I felt the same way when PJ shut the site. I'd say that site supporters are probably massing to protest.....but it's just a guess. Anyway, time will tell. We can but watch and hope.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 22, 2013
9:30 AM EDT
I, also, think she over-reacted. A tor node with a drop-box would have been as secure as anything in this insane world could be, not hard to set up, and easy enough to use for her contributors.

In the other direction, the truly concerned contributor could provide a GPG/PGP key along with their contribution, and any return correspondence from PJ could simply be posted publicly where everyone (including the person who could decrypt it) could see it, thus being just one of millions and no one the wiser about who it is.

That's how I'd do it, anyway.
Ridcully

Aug 22, 2013
10:14 AM EDT
Incidentally, for those interested, the Groklaw community actually IS reacting. PJ has blocked any comments on her last posting, but what they are now doing is posting about the closure on the preceding article which is called:

Apple v. Samsung I: Case Management Statement, Hearing Aug. 21 ~pj Updated

I didn't read them all, but there are lots and they take all sorts of angles including the main feelings put here: that Groklaw is too important to allow to die.
shem

Aug 22, 2013
11:52 AM EDT
I've always told family & friends to consider email the same as an old-fashioned postcard... not that they listen :/
caitlyn

Aug 22, 2013
4:37 PM EDT
I talked about this with a friend who does (state) government IT security for a living. Her take is that e-mail has never been secure or private and that people should know that. shem is absolutely right.

Bob: The NSA and other governments do listen in on Tor nodes. Tor makes it harder to track down who sent what but it can be done. Again, I have friends in government IT security, both state and federal, and an onion router and proxy is nice, but if they want to see your correspondence they will see it. Also, they've been known to break encryption. Still, Tor and GPG/PGP make it more work on the government end and they are less likely to bother to look without a reason.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 22, 2013
4:38 PM EDT
> and they are less likely to bother to look without a reason

Exactly.

Nothing is perfectly secure, which is why I like encrypting email about nothing of interest. Obfuscation. It makes them work for it.
BernardSwiss

Aug 22, 2013
7:54 PM EDT
But the NSA has been quite clear and explicit, that use of Tor and/or use of encryption is, in and of itself, sufficient reason to look, collect, store, and attempt decryption.
slacker_mike

Aug 22, 2013
9:15 PM EDT
@Caitlyn major props to you for the King Crimson reference. I love King Crimson and the 80's incarnation pairing Robert Fripp with Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, and Bill Bruford was an amazing outfit!
caitlyn

Aug 22, 2013
9:59 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone would get that reference :)

There is a video on YouTube of King Crimson performing "Sleepless", their one attempt at a dance/club hit, which met with minor success including rotation on MTV. Of course, there are women dancing in the video. The guys on YouTube insist that it can't be real because women don't listen to King Crimson :D At that time they DID try to, and again, to some extent, succeeded in broadening their audience. It was real, albeit for a short time in the '80s.
Ridcully

Aug 23, 2013
6:09 PM EDT
Intriguing.........Groklaw is still sorta kinda a little bit active.......the news bulletins down the RHS are still being updated.
Ridcully

Aug 23, 2013
8:39 PM EDT
Hi Caitlyn......I had a look at that King Crimson clip......ummm.....sorry, but not my thing. However my son has a high regard for the group and really wants to see it. I'm more early Beatles, PeterPaul&Mary, Seekers, etc......when songs were songs with melody and the words made sense, not like now where so many "productions" consist of "something" that you shriek along to the cacophony of the band - not that I am saying King Crimson is like that, but to me so many of the "modern groups" cannot be understood either because of the noise they are making with apparently sabotaged musical instruments or the fact that they are using the audio system to project a voice output that is about two or three times above the level required to produce ear damage.

Sigh...I suppose I am showing my age ? But I also love classical music, Gilbert & Sullivan and some opera themes like Nessun Dorma.....or The Ring Cycle Fire Music. And for me, one of the ultimate show stoppers is Gliere's Harp Concerto......try it....The Russian production on youtube is one of the most beautiful and best I have ever seen.......you sit entranced as you watch a very lovely woman bring that harp to life with sheer melody and joy. Even the orchestra was overwhelmed with her playing as you see at the conclusion and the audience was silent at the end and then went into amazing displays of applause and flowers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1CdBxGurCI
jdixon

Aug 23, 2013
8:45 PM EDT
> when songs were songs with melody and the words made sense,

Well, then you may prefer "The Court of the Crimson King": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53q2YuKGejc Probably still not your cup of tea, but closer.
montezuma

Aug 23, 2013
8:52 PM EDT
Ridcully,

Well I suggest you avoid "Lark's Tongue in Aspic" then. Most un Peter Paul and Mary track ever.
Ridcully

Aug 23, 2013
9:38 PM EDT
Jdixon......I'm more "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" with Bing Crosby. Does this show my age ? LOL

Montezuma.......done and done.......Off my "to-do list" already. Never heard of it anyhow...Again, does this show my age ? Sigh.....I feel decrepit, and you ain't helpin' . LOL.

Edit: would you believe the entire film I mentioned to jdixon above is on youtube ? Just watched it and now I am "Busily doing nothing, nothing the whole day through - trying hard to find lots of things not to do........." I haven't seen it in 20 years, and it still has the most delightful sentimental ending.....gimme a tissue.
jdixon

Aug 24, 2013
8:42 PM EDT
> Does this show my age ? LOL

No more than knowing what you're talking about shows mine. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!