Why would anyone want to?

Story: How to Re-Enable the Blink Effect in Mozilla Firefox 23Total Replies: 12
Author Content
caitlyn

Aug 21, 2013
2:46 PM EDT
<blink> had to be the world's most annoying piece of HTML code.
notbob

Aug 21, 2013
3:48 PM EDT
> Why would anyone want to?

To [blink]annoy[/blink] you?
Bob_Robertson

Aug 21, 2013
3:59 PM EDT
To experience http://www.grc.com/ in all its glory?
caitlyn

Aug 21, 2013
4:09 PM EDT
Anyone who wants the blink back probably also laments the passing of Clippy and Microsoft Bob.
djohnston

Aug 21, 2013
5:12 PM EDT
Quoting:Anyone who wants the blink back probably also laments the passing of Clippy and Microsoft Bob.

Hey, now, wait just a minute! Clippy is the epitome of a "rich computing experience".

caitlyn

Aug 21, 2013
6:14 PM EDT
Quoting:Clippy is the epitome of a "rich computing experience".
LOL. So Microsoft said.
jdixon

Aug 21, 2013
6:45 PM EDT
> Anyone who wants the blink back probably also laments the passing of Clippy and Microsoft Bob.

It's OK, we've got Jingles now: https://www.eviscerati.org/comics/comic/hd/prev
rnturn

Aug 22, 2013
12:44 AM EDT
Oh... I think the marquee effect was possibly even more annoying as blinking text though I can't think of a reason to do either blinking or horizontally-scrolling text any more. Losing that tag surely won't cause me to grieve.
BernardSwiss

Aug 22, 2013
12:54 AM EDT
Two reasons (neither legal):

#1) Induce epileptic seizures in your enemies by inducing them to visit a specially crafted web-page.

#2) hold on -- I'll think of something...
gary_newell

Aug 22, 2013
4:09 AM EDT
The marquee tag was really useful....

Visit a page and catch a glimpse of something really useful in the little ticker bar (marquee) and then wait an excruciating 5 minutes whilst message after message went by before finally the one that I was interested in finally comes around again only to realise it wasn't that interesting after all.

Sky Sports News still use a similar technique. I want to know the latest cricket score or premier league football scores and I know it is a good 15 minutes away because they are still showing Isthmian League South Division. We still have the Aldershot local boys under 18s league, the Peruvian rugby scores, The world tiddlywinks competition from Copenhagen and the world cheese rolling championships.

Who cares whether Chelsea won as long as we know who won the world shin kicking championships
Bob_Robertson

Aug 22, 2013
8:49 AM EDT
I had a chance to buy Microsoft Bob. And the parody of Bob, the title of which sadly I cannot remember. It was a run-down trailer park, rather than Bob's nice house.
notbob

Aug 22, 2013
10:26 AM EDT
> I had a chance to buy Microsoft Bob. And the parody of Bob, the title of which sadly I cannot remember.

Notbob, perhaps? ;)
rnturn

Aug 22, 2013
11:10 AM EDT
@Gary: Yep. It did serve a useful purpose back in the day: It focused your attention on /something/ while all the awful graphics continued to load.

@Bernard: If only that tag had had a "freq" option where you specify a randomly selected blink rate. That might have been fun.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!