Yay!!! ... And Uh-oh!!!

Story: New Zealand bans software patentsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
JaseP

Aug 29, 2013
12:31 AM EDT
Yay!!! ... And Uh-oh!!! Yay, that there's a modern jurisdiction doing the right thing... Uh-oh, in that the sucking sound you are hearing is the sound of development jobs leaving the US and going to New Zealand...
Ridcully

Aug 29, 2013
5:49 AM EDT
Now !! If only Australia follows New Zealand........that would REALLY put the wind up US trolls and see an even greater exodus. However, the more this happens, the more pressure it puts on US legislators to change the absolute farce that the US patent system has descended into. I hope it happens for the sake of the US.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 29, 2013
8:25 AM EDT
> I hope it happens for the sake of the US.

For the sake of the world.
rnturn

Aug 29, 2013
1:46 PM EDT
Two thoughts:

* Didn't New Zealand just push through a new law giving their government more (much more) leeway in spying on their citizens? Might not be such a hospitable place to live/work if you're concerned with government overreach in the name of fighting "terrierism".

* I'll bet Groklaw's PJ is kicking herself that she didn't get a hold of this news story before her self-imposed exile from the Internet.
Ridcully

Aug 30, 2013
2:06 AM EDT
@rnturn........I noted that in the huge reaction on Groklaw to PJ's closure of the site (all in the posting preceding her closing statement where postings are still permitted) there is at least one contribution stating they would like to get a "fork" going so that the work of Groklaw will continue. I hope it materialises - very much indeed.

And Bob, I could not agree more. I was thinking parochially while trying to put myself into the chair of a US citizen, but your comment is spot on, I think. For the sake of world innovation, software patents should be outlawed in all countries, no matter how loud the proprietary screams become - or political back pockets are emptied. No one is allowed to patent a language or mathematics, and I do not see software any different from a mathematical language.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!