Then maybe MS will open Secure Boot in their ARM devices

Story: Microsoft: PLEASE HTC. Who says Windows Phone can't go on an AndroidTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
BFM

Oct 04, 2013
3:34 PM EDT
Fair is fair guys. If you want HTC to open their devices how about opening yours.
tmx

Oct 05, 2013
3:11 PM EDT
You know that isn't going to happen: http://www.wpcentral.com/comment/559594

Microsoft is just fine with locked bootloaders, just like HTC infact. They just want HTC to sell more Windows phones since the royalty payout isn't enough and Windows Phones isn't selling nicely. HTC is not doing very good as a company as it is and is losing big money. I think they can survive if they continue to make only a few good phones and spend more on tv and ads campaign like Samsung/Apple. I just dislike them for not being more open with their devices and the developer, violating GPL, CarrierIQ (which haven't gone away, just no longer talked about by the media).

If in the case HTC goes down, I think Apple would probably be one of the company most interested in it, especially with recent patent agreements and HTC devices starting to look a lot like iPhones without billion dollars lawsuits, Microsoft is out of their league on this one. I wouldn't shed a tear for them although it'll be one less choice, I'm more interested in Oppo now who make as durable or better devices and treats the community much better.

I hope the EU will block the Nokia acquisition by Microsoft though.
gus3

Oct 06, 2013
12:07 PM EDT
I don't. Let each be the millstone around the other's neck.
Ridcully

Oct 06, 2013
6:13 PM EDT
I find it intriguing that in each of these two cases where Microsoft is "involved" with a mobile phone maker/retailer, that company is already in some sort of financial trouble. Nokia certainly was, and the reports I have seen in today's web news seem to indicate HTC definitely is.

Assuming Gus3's comment above is pretty much spot on (and I think he is), it almost looks like Redmond is intent on putting more millstones (albatrosses for the sea-going inclined) around its neck. But it certainly is, at least to me, a sign of the enormous desperation at Redburg about the lack of Windows penetration into the smartphone/pad/tablet markets. Everything I see, day by day here in Australia, shows mass rejection of Windows based devices in those markets.

Minor update......I was just musing over these facts with a friend of mine (we talk each morning over the news and emails) and it struck me that the only way Microsoft might get some penetration would be to virtually give its smartphones away. Even then, I am not sure that it would work. The freedom to do what YOU want rather than what Microsoft wants has become entrenched in the modern young person's mindset, and Android does just that. It is also intriguing to watch the struggles of a once dominant company as it tries to make its outdated software and marketing systems operate in more modern circumstances. Watch this space.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!