How clueless can you get?

Story: The death of Medibuntu: A harbinger of doom for Ubuntu?Total Replies: 34
Author Content
kikinovak

Oct 12, 2013
1:07 PM EDT
Here's the first sentence of the article:

"Medibuntu was an Ubuntu spin that focused on multimedia, entertainment and distractions."

Is that so?

JaseP

Oct 12, 2013
1:25 PM EDT
No,... It was a repository that added useful items,...
the_doctor

Oct 12, 2013
10:42 PM EDT
If Jim Lynch would have bothered to read the announcement and click through the links (rather than just copy and paste his way through life), he would have learned that the only thing that really mattered was libdvdcss. Which now can be downloaded from the nice people at videolan.org.

Or you can add the vlc repositories to your system by following these instructions:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/install-latest-vlc-in-ubuntu-...

More to the point, Jim wrote:

Quoting:No doubt some folks might use this as fodder for predicting Ubuntu's ultimate doom (one spin down, six zillion to go!), but I think it's a very minor loss in terms of Ubuntu spins.

What "folks"? Who is using this to predict the death of Ubuntu? Cite the source!

Sitting on your *** all day and making up **** for the sake of sensationalism is the type of yellow journalism that gives Linux a bad name.
djohnston

Oct 12, 2013
11:48 PM EDT
I'm a "technology analyst and online community manager", not a doctor!
kikinovak

Oct 13, 2013
6:51 AM EDT
Jim Lynch should unite with Dark Duck and Dietrich Schmitz to launch "Dunning-Kruger Technology Research" on a separate website. I'm sure they'd get plenty of audience. In the meantime, LXer.com's signal-to-noise ratio would improve significantly.
the_doctor

Oct 13, 2013
12:24 PM EDT
If you want the entire Medibuntu repository, you can download the ISO image from:

http://archive.pocentek.net/medibuntu/

You will find the .deb files in the "pool" folder.

Jim Lynch (the master investigative journalist) apparently failed to read that part of the announcement as well.
lcafiero

Oct 13, 2013
3:30 PM EDT
This made me laugh. In fact, I had to look up Medibuntu because I thought it was a spin aimed at medical professionals.

In any case, I think it's a click-inducing headline that doesn't quite match the story, because Lynch himself says it doesn't make much of a difference to Ubuntu since all the stuff in the spin is either in, or available to, Ubuntu anyway.
Ridcully

Oct 13, 2013
5:49 PM EDT
I just gotta say this......judging by the clicks and comments: Jim's already won hands down. And his article is being discussed loudly. We once had a state leader out here who used to say that he'd "go and feed the chooks", meaning that he'd drop some sort of news in front of the press and watch their reactions. His attitude was that whether the publicity was good or bad, it was still publicity and therefore useful. Hmmmmmmm ? :-) 2c

Let's face it, the absolute worst thing you could do to Jim Lynch would be to ignore him.......

Post Script........and I have GOT to share this. After I logged out about 15 minutes ago, I went over to our hen house to let the chooks out and scatter some bread scraps......Opened the nesting box to be confronted with a 1.5 metre scrub python....we call them carpet snakes out here. Shut box and counted hens.....all present and correct. Back to house, got gloves and empty chook pellet bag, back to nesting box, grabbed snake behind the head and manhandled it into the bag and secured the bag. Snake very somnolent, it had a huge bulge in its middle (probably a possum) so obviously it had looked for somewhere nice and dark to lie up and digest its meal. I'll decant the thing out in the bush a few kilometres away later this morning. Let's face it, living on a 5 acre block you can NEVER tell what each day will bring.....but it's never, never boring.
the_doctor

Oct 13, 2013
8:37 PM EDT
Sorry, Ridcully, but Jim Lynch didn't win anything.

There is a major distinction between being famous and being infamous.

Ridcully

Oct 13, 2013
9:05 PM EDT
Thankyou "the_doctor", but that is EXACTLY what I implied......it doesn't matter to a publicity seeker if it's good or bad; he/she has got the publicity they desired. If you must, you can think of him as a "Linux Streaker".......LOL. And yes, Jim HAS won hands down......he's got you in hasn't he ? I haven't even read the article comprehensively.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 13, 2013
9:59 PM EDT
Hey My Friend Ridicule,

Quoting: [...] you can think of him as a "Linux Streaker".......

Have you trade marked that yet? If not can I have it?

YBT
the_doctor

Oct 13, 2013
11:55 PM EDT
I wasn't disagreeing with you, Ridcully. I was being sympathetic.

I enjoy your home-spun allegories. :)
Ridcully

Oct 14, 2013
7:00 AM EDT
For "the_doctor"......awwww, shucks. ....blush. To be honest, I never know what's going to come out of this mind and keyboard in front of me. But seriously for a moment, glad you like the allegories - laughter is always the best medicine (and NO, TextEd, you can't have that one....I think it belongs to the Readers Digest.)

For TxtEdMacs, what on human earth would you do with it ? Market a series of featherless Tux's ? Hairless GNU's ? The mind boggles.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 14, 2013
7:41 PM EDT
Too bad, "Linux Streaker" has a classic tone, which threatens to rob me of the very small modicum of composure I still possess.

You may laugh out loud, whereas I am injured hitting the floor ... painful. I just cannot decide if my discomfort is due to the physical bruises or my frustrated greed for not owning the term.

In any case,

YBT

P.S. I still believe it is your invention, since I never encountered it before.
Ridcully

Oct 14, 2013
9:35 PM EDT
For TxtEdMacs......just in case I confused you......The "laughter is the best medicine" quote comes from the Readers Digest and that's what I was talking about in the brackets above..although there are some who believe that statement has a biblical origin.

As regards "Linux Streaker".....no, I have never seen the term used before, but I guess the fact that it is being discussed here gives me some sort of copyright ownership ? I have no ideas on the matter. However, glad you enjoyed it.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 15, 2013
9:08 AM EDT
My Dear Mr. Ridiculous:

Admit it, you just do NOT want to $hare.

We could be rich I tell you ... just think of the trove of Bit(s)-of-Valueless*-Coins we can loot. We need only to remember to hold our greed in check to dump well before the last Yokel has dumped their savings there.

If we do - you and I can live in relative comfort in our rapidly declining years until we have to rethink and execute another scam to support our modest life styles.

As always,

YBT

* I find it odd those of the Libertarian bent love this scheme while maintaining national currencies are valueless without hard backing, i.e. as the gold standard.

jdixon

Oct 15, 2013
9:41 AM EDT
By design, there's a limited supply of Bitcoins, Txt. The government can print as man FRN's as they want.
DrGeoffrey

Oct 15, 2013
9:52 AM EDT
Quoting:By design, there's a limited supply of Bitcoins

Ahah! So bitcoins are not trying to replace money, but precious metals!

I wonder how many circuit boards use bitcoins?
Ridcully

Oct 15, 2013
10:32 AM EDT
My Dearest TexasTedMax.......the problem is, that I am just tooooo honest, upright and forbearing to ever consider such a nefarious scheme as you suggest. My pure and high souled nature rebels instantly at the thought of my sunset years being devoted to a life of crime. How could I tarnish my family escutcheon in such a way ? Nay, it shall not be !..... Begone oh tempter of my moral rectitude. (Exits stage left and collapses in laughter.) :-)
TxtEdMacs

Oct 15, 2013
11:49 AM EDT
My Dearest Mr. Not so Ridiculous:

I well understand your reluctance to participate in an honest criminal endeavor* nor do I, because there might be consequences for us. However, what I am suggesting is merely playing the system that's not totally illegal, i.e. nothing more than a scheme (rightly known as a scam to those less proficient in the language arts). We watch our boundaries and laugh off the rightly deserved derision of the righteous** as our "betters" do. No way will I be an honest criminal, I am too timid and the confines of prisons do not suit me.

Now if we were only fabulously rich and well connected for ages, then we could become real criminals either by using tools to do our bidding or even if we dallied personally in hair brain schemes that failed miserably we would be immune. Moreover, our nearest and dearest would escape all consequences. Others would pay, but not us. Because we would be Banksters*** given our bonuses despite driving our businesses to ruin, but bailed out by the sucker, mostly poorer tax payers. That happens for the select few, which we are not. Therefore, we operate on the fringes to reduce out exposure [exit stage right ... which is a mirror image, hence, I am at your side] and we hope never to be really noticed.

As always,

YBT

* For example, where a weapon is brandished in a public display to coerce transfer of funds even where there is no discharge or actual use required.

** And some not so, e.g. figures are not so moral authorities whether from pulpits, editorial texts or even self appointed, entitled elites.

*** A long history of robbery far exceeding good, old fashion armed robberies the latter perpetrated mostly by lower class elements.

gus3

Oct 15, 2013
12:58 PM EDT
Ridcully, might I suggest a primer? Going in Style
DrGeoffrey

Oct 15, 2013
1:57 PM EDT
Quoting:Now if we were only fabulously rich and well connected for ages, then we could become real criminals either by using tools to do our bidding or even if we dallied personally in hair brain schemes that failed miserably we would be immune. Moreover, our nearest and dearest would escape all consequences. Others would pay, but not us. Because we would be Banksters*** given our bonuses despite driving our businesses to ruin, but bailed out by the sucker, mostly poorer tax payers. That happens for the select few, which we are not.

Are you sure this in all tongue-in-cheek?
gus3

Oct 15, 2013
2:15 PM EDT
DrGeoffrey, that's for you to decide for yourself.
DrGeoffrey

Oct 15, 2013
3:02 PM EDT
Quoting:DrGeoffrey, that's for you to decide for yourself.

Waaaaaayyyyyyyy too serious a response. May I suggest a simple, "I plead the fifth."

(& do not specify which fifth).
Ridcully

Oct 15, 2013
5:25 PM EDT
Honestly, this is all too much for a gentle soul such as myself. I seem to be surrounded by thoroughly warped personalities.....As for you, Gus3, and your attempt to sabotage my upright bearing with wickedly oriented tutorials, I am thoroughly shocked - I expected better of you. I'm off to have a cup of tea and meditate on those famous words of Hamlet:

"Alas, poor TexasTed, .....I knew him well Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, with a tortuous criminal mind."
DrGeoffrey

Oct 15, 2013
6:00 PM EDT
<cough>
Ridcully

Oct 15, 2013
6:28 PM EDT
May I offer you a throat lozenge DrGeoffrey ?
TxtEdMacs

Oct 15, 2013
7:11 PM EDT
You Alls,

I can't take it anymore, the name calling and innuendos are just too much for me to stay. Your slanderous comments about me are driving me out. Out I say. I have never even been to Texas, just passed through once.

You people pretend to be friendly, but Ted ... Ted!? If you meant TED Talks, I would have been honored, a bit over blown but respectable. But Ted? That guy does not even sing well and watching him foam at the mouth is just too much.

Therefore, I am leaving. Good Bye, I am Gone.

As always,

YBT

P.S. Say something interesting so I can come back soon.
Ridcully

Oct 15, 2013
7:45 PM EDT
And as the sun slowly sinks in the Texan west, we say farewell to our Edward......long may his YBT prosper.

PS.........Be grateful TxtEdMaxs......I could have used the name "Cactus Jack" (instead of Ridcully)..........(See The Great Race with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.)

PPS.......I am "out of the loop" with the name Ted as put forward by TxtEdMacs....Seriously, is there an undercurrent I am not aware of ?

PPPS..... before anyone tells me: It's not Cactus Jack, it's Texas Jack.........sigh.....it shows the frailties of declining 70's.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 16, 2013
3:42 AM EDT
Well People ... ,

I would be dissembling had I continued to maintain I really left, since I tend to read most comments without uttering a word on their respective threads. Should I leave, who among you will keep you honest? Moreover, who will bring comment drift from the topic header to a halt? Therefore, it is my burden to keep you on the straight and narrow.

My hardest task will be keeping Mr. Ridiculous on a law abiding path. It will be difficult herding such a nefarious character, but until the last of my stamina is lost I must persevere.

So I am back,

YBT

Ridcully

Oct 16, 2013
4:25 AM EDT
And before anyone says anything.....I'd miss you as well......And that's the last bit of "niceness" from me for today. Otherwise, I'd really run counter to the curmudgeon that Ridcully the Archchancellor is supposed to be. :-)
gus3

Oct 16, 2013
5:57 PM EDT
DrGeoffrey, the only fifth I'll plead is Glenlivet.
Ridcully

Oct 16, 2013
7:33 PM EDT
Talisker ?
TxtEdMacs

Oct 16, 2013
9:16 PM EDT
All I am hearing is esoterically named distilled products decanted from vessels in volumes denoted by a fifth of a quart. Me thinks this is utter posturing*, since from other comments I suspect you all consume hooch delivered from the back side of a dusty pickup decanted from squat barrels and delivered via dirty, used plastic tubing into bottles (or other containers) you specially brought to catch the emitted fluids and vapors to "enjoy" either at home or sprawled on area of pavement in a stupor. So instead of a high discussion of Constitutional principles we are degraded to snide commenting upon addictive fluids that debauch your souls in reality that are furtively delivered solely by innuendo.

Stop it, it is so like D.C. as it is currently functioning.

* In less polite circles known as B.S.
Ridcully

Oct 16, 2013
10:59 PM EDT
Tsk, tsk, tsk, TxtEdMacs....Usquebaugh is a drink of sheer perfection to any true Scot, and I just happen to be one......Observe:

But maistly thee, the bluid o' Scots, Frae Maidenkirk to John o' Grots, The king o' drinks, as I conceive it, Talisker, Isla, or Glenlivet!

Robert Louis Stevenson, circa 1830

Talisker is unique for its highly unusual peppery flavour and believe me, it's utterly beautiful and worth every cent you put out on it. Glenlivet is more fruity, while Isla has a salt-iodine overtang as I recall. The most potent one I have hit is Laphroig.......very strong almost tarry tang and I watched a newcomer's eye's bulge on that one.

Now........shall we all head back to Linux ?????????

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!