Why would anyone want to?

Story: Ubuntu 13.10 Improves Linux Server DeploymentTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 20, 2013
10:21 AM EDT
Why would anyone want to deploy a six month release / nine month release version of Ubuntu on a server? For most server farms that sort of fast, forced upgrade schedule is nothing short of insanity. Most production servers are all about stability, not change. I can understand deploying Ubuntu LTS, and I can understand doing an article on the new features, but not the idea of these updates as some sort of breakthrough on servers.... at least not yet.
jazz

Oct 20, 2013
3:44 PM EDT
13.10 is basically a preview for what is to come in 14.04 LTS. For the same purpose Debian has "sid", RedHat has Fedora, etc.
caitlyn

Oct 20, 2013
6:25 PM EDT
That isn't how Ubuntu pitches their releases at all.
jazz

Oct 20, 2013
8:54 PM EDT
Better read the data sheet:

http://www.ubuntu.com/server
caitlyn

Oct 20, 2013
9:22 PM EDT
I have. 13.10 is billed as a Standard Release, not a test release, not a development release, and certainly not a preview.
jazz

Oct 20, 2013
10:18 PM EDT
Your standard release is nothing more than a preview, I would wait for 14.04. Or use 12.04 if you really need to. Anyway, do what everyone else does and install Debian.
CFWhitman

Oct 21, 2013
9:10 AM EDT
My problem with using any Ubuntu as a server is perfectly illustrated by something that happened to me recently. I wanted to use two machines with DRBD running across them as a shared file system for clustering. One how-to on the subject targeted Ubuntu as the platform. When I went to build the system with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I found that there had been an update to the DRBD modules for the kernel since the initial release of 12.04 from 8.3.x to 8.4.x. Of course, that in itself goes against the principles of a long term release. However, the kicker was that there had been no corresponding update to the tools, so they would not work correctly with the kernel modules and the whole thing was pretty much unusable without fixing the problem. Though I could have updated the tools or downgraded the modules, that was not the type of thing I wanted to support. Instead, I dropped Ubuntu and took a different approach. Even LTS versions of Ubuntu are not stable compared to Debian or RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 21, 2013
9:11 AM EDT
> Anyway, do what everyone else does and install Debian.

"Everyone" would be nice. Not everyone like the same thing, however, no matter how easy it is to make it look like anything else.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!