This Could Be Interesting

Story: Non-Linux FOSS: Chrome Desktop ApplicationsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
CFWhitman

Nov 22, 2013
10:27 AM EDT
Of course I had heard about Chrome Apps before. This is, however, the first time I heard that they would be available for use on Windows and Linux as well as Chrome OS.

It's true that Chrome Apps make Chrome OS a lot more interesting prospect as an operating system. I think that the appeal of Chrome Apps on desktop operating systems will be less. However, a few of the apps really could do well on Windows and especially Linux if handled correctly. This would mostly apply to games, but also possibly to things like YouTube (which is available) and especially Netflix (though Pipelight makes this not as exciting of a prospect as it once might have been). Right now, Netflix is just a shortcut and completely uninteresting. If they came out with an application that runs like it does on Chrome OS, then they would get some attention from Linux users.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 22, 2013
2:52 PM EDT
However much slower they might be than apps written in native code, there's really no stopping HTML5/Javascript apps from taking over on many platforms and for many uses.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!