You wouldn't want a Windows powered targeting system

Story: Linux powers AR-15 rifle targeting systemTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
gary_newell

Jan 11, 2014
8:51 PM EDT
Imagine the Windows powered targeting system.....

Armed officer about to take out a kidnapper with a hostage..... aims the sight and a little voice says "It looks like you are trying to take out that man with the mask, can I help you with that?"

Then just as the shot is about to be taken a little voice says "you do not have permission to do that, please provide the override permission password to continue".

Finally the sight is lined up perfectly, you pull the trigger and the voice says "I'm sorry there was a problem. would you like to send a bug report to Microsoft".

At which point the officer turns the gun on himself and completely fails to commit suicide as the gun reboots itself for no apparent reason and then starts applying updates. The officer throws the gun away at which point it accidentally goes off and kills the hostage.

BernardSwiss

Jan 11, 2014
9:21 PM EDT
I can so see this as a comedy sketch on TV...
JaseP

Jan 11, 2014
9:46 PM EDT
You wouldn't see it on TV, because,... advertising dollars. MS still has money (for now).
jdixon

Jan 12, 2014
7:44 AM EDT
> Imagine the Windows powered targeting system.....

Why does this bring to mind the "They killed Fred" scene from Wizards?
cr

Jan 12, 2014
12:22 PM EDT
To me it more brings to mind the Yorktown.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 13, 2014
10:03 AM EDT
Queue scene from The Bedford Incident:

"I'm sorry, sir, I've lost the submarine again. My sonar system is trying to install service pack 3."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!