This is why need to reinstate stocks and ducking stools

Story: Patent stunner: Under attack, nation’s most notorious “troll” sues federal gov’tTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 15, 2014
2:51 PM EDT
Forget the endless legal machinations. I bet money that a few days in the stocks being pelted with offal would disincent Lawyer Rust more surely than any court actions.
gus3

Jan 15, 2014
4:10 PM EDT
Finally, someone who understands the verb "incent"!
skelband

Jan 15, 2014
4:16 PM EDT
Surely you mean disincentivizitateage?

;)
mrider

Jan 15, 2014
4:45 PM EDT
Quoting:Forget the endless legal machinations. I bet money that a few days in the stocks being pelted with offal would disincent Lawyer Rust more surely than any court actions.

I'm thinking it would also en-scent them. :)
cr

Jan 15, 2014
6:20 PM EDT
A new use for skunkworks.
BernardSwiss

Jan 15, 2014
10:42 PM EDT
I gather there's no laws against the dishonoring of animal remains?

Hmmm.... maybe those Animal Rights activists have a point.
gary_newell

Jan 16, 2014
4:40 AM EDT
I think that patent court cases should have the same method of elimination as the X Factor of Pop Idol (but not in their current guise)

My idea for X Factor and Pop Idol is that each judge should have a button and when all 3 buttons are pressed the fate of the singer(s) is randomly selected from one of being shot by firing squad, trapdoor opens to a pit of crocodiles, sandbags dropped from the rafters or if they were bad but not too bad they can just get hid round the back of the head with a big wet fish.

I reckon the same fate could happen to prosecutors in patent cases. Each member of the jury has a button and if at any time they get fed up with the prosecutor (be it due to the argument, his tie or the fact that he has a face you'd just like to punch) they press their button. If all the jurors press at the same time (within 5 seconds) then the wheel of fortune will spin and the prosecutors fate will be decided.
BernardSwiss

Jan 16, 2014
6:35 AM EDT
Unfortunately, the Donald Trumps and Jay Mac Rusts of this world would do pretty well under such a regime (think David Boies of the SCOg v IBM case).

No thanks -- there's too much flim-flam in the courts, already.
notbob

Jan 16, 2014
12:02 PM EDT
> Finally, someone who understands the verb "incent"!

In looking the word up, I gotta kick out of this:

"It is hard to conceive the evil mind of whoever loosed DISINCENT on the world. It is uglier, more abstruse, and less expressive than almost any available alternative: “hinder,” “dissuade,” “deter,” “daunt,” or (most refreshingly) “scare off.” It adds nothing to the rich vocabulary of discouragement with which all the social sciences are already ripe. Who could possibly have concocted this ghastly word, and what was their wicked design? Here, at last, is useful employment for conspiracy buffs."

http://www.comnetwork.org/2009/01/disincent/
penguinist

Jan 16, 2014
12:42 PM EDT
Another word that I've always wanted to use in a sentence is

disabuse
jdixon

Jan 16, 2014
1:01 PM EDT
> Finally, someone who understands the verb "incent"!

All you have to know is that it's the root of incentive. :)

Personally, I prefer dissuade most of the time, but that's me. Maybe tuxchick can disabuse me of that preference. :)
skelband

Jan 16, 2014
1:41 PM EDT
I was thinking the same thing this morning about "embiggen".

But apart from "grow", which in a lot of circumstances wouldn't really feel right, I couldn't think of anything better.

And don't get me started on "leverage". >:(
mrider

Jan 16, 2014
4:45 PM EDT
Quoting:And don't get me started on "leverage"

BINGO!

What? Oh wait, wrong forum... ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!