Advertisement as Story?

Story: Black Lab Linux: Windows XP End Of LifeTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
CFWhitman

Feb 05, 2014
12:46 PM EDT
I have nothing against Black Lab Linux or them having an advertisement aimed at XP users. However, this isn't really a Linux story, it's just an advertisement. I don't know how it deserves a story link, and an advertisement posted here asking users to switch from Windows XP is rather like "preaching to the choir."
bob

Feb 05, 2014
1:04 PM EDT
I agree. This is a fund raising promotion, and not a Linux news story.

Somehow this got through to the LXer newswire. Sorry, it's been removed.
gus3

Feb 05, 2014
1:19 PM EDT
Should I be concerned that I just missed something?
gary_newell

Feb 05, 2014
5:27 PM EDT
I agree to a point but you would be surprised how many new users to Linux visit this site, which is why I post articles for new users here.
bob

Feb 05, 2014
6:27 PM EDT
Gary, articles aimed at new Linux users as well as advanced Linux users are always most welcome on LXer.

The issue with this posting was that it did not conform to the LXer Terms of Service:

"Members are restricted from utilizing the LXer services to create business opportunities, or to promote fund raising activities, without express prior written permission from an officer of LXer."

We draw a distinction between advertising/fund-raising and Linux news coverage.

Keep on submitting new-user articles, Gary, they will always be welcome. (especially by the new users)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!