Canonical Posts New Ugly 8 Mir Compositor Demo Video

Story: Canonical Posts New Unity 8 Mir Compositor Demo VideoTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tuxchick

Mar 21, 2014
5:49 PM EDT
Well, that's what I thought it said. Never mind.
gus3

Mar 22, 2014
11:17 AM EDT
But it does show that the primary environment of Unity is under a touchscreen.

I guess Canonical doesn't care any more about people who still use mice, trackballs, and touchpads. Just a bunch of old, senile geezers stuck in the past.
notbob

Mar 22, 2014
12:44 PM EDT
> Just a bunch of old, senile geezers stuck in the past.

If smearing one's greasy fast-food fingers around on an itty-bitty screen at apparently pointless pictures is the future, count me out. Is there anyone out there actually furthering the technology of real world computers?

nb --senile geezer obstinately stuck in the past ;)
tuxchick

Mar 22, 2014
1:06 PM EDT
It's a funny thing. Unity and GNOME remove functionality wholesale, and then get hurt feelings when users complain. Then slowly, they put features back. It has become a regular cycle.

I love my little Android tablet. I hate greasy finger smears, so I use a stylus. A display server that supports touch, keyboard, and mouse makes sense. I have no idea if Mir makes sense. The end.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 22, 2014
2:00 PM EDT
I think we need a(nother) free-software solution for tablet and mobile. There needs to be more than just Android.

I'm happy to see Ubuntu focus on mobile and/or tablet, and I would love to see successful systems from Firefox OS, Tizen and whatever else is or will be available.

If Ubuntu's mobile focus makes its Unity desktop less usable on traditional computers, there are hundreds of other distributions available, including Xubuntu.

I'm thinking of trying GNOME 3 again, especially because I have reliable 3D hardware acceleration at this point, but the problems I had the last time out (mostly lack of configurability and broken extensions) are just saying, "stick to Xfce."
notbob

Mar 22, 2014
2:26 PM EDT
> I hate greasy finger smears, so I use a stylus.

I can live with a stylus. I got pretty good at writing Graffiti(?) pretty quickly on my old Handspring. At least faster than I can navigate the qwerty keyboard on my LG Tracfone. Unlike today's anorexic fingered teens, I got those fat geezer phalanges, donchyaknow. ;)
gary_newell

Mar 24, 2014
4:33 AM EDT
"If smearing one's greasy fast-food fingers around on an itty-bitty screen at apparently pointless pictures is the future, count me out."

Yes and you definitely don't want to let your kids near that computer. Replace greasy fast food fingers with stick jammy hands and the problems are made 100 times worse
CFWhitman

Mar 24, 2014
9:04 AM EDT
To be honest, using Android reminds me of using an old DOS based Windows in a lot of ways. Apps tend to crash easily. The whole system will sometimes crash and reboot for no apparent reason, or become so sluggish that you have to reboot the device to make it bearable to use again.

I have an Open Pandora palmtop computer, and using it compared to an Android based device is reminiscent of the difference between Windows and Linux when I first started using Linux. It may be more technically oriented, but it and the apps that run on it don't crash. I would love to see one of the systems based on regular GNU/Linux become more accessible to be used on all the ARM tablet hardware out there.
cabreh

Mar 24, 2014
11:15 AM EDT
Interesting. In my household we have two Google Nexus tablets ( an 10" and a new 7"). We have no such problems with Android. The system is stable and I've had no more program crashes than I've experienced on my Linux systems.

Maybe the problem is the crap layer on top of Android placed there by most of the other manufacturers? I don't know.

tuxchick

Mar 24, 2014
11:20 AM EDT
My Asus Memopad tablet works great as well. Nice little 8" screen, and when I find a good Bluetooth keyboard I will have the perfect travel set. The main annoyance for me is how vendors keep trying to herd us into their little cloud corrals. I don't want effing cloud, I want a nice system I can load up with books, music, and movies and not need an Internet connection to use them. Apps and file managers are inept at managing attached storage, like a microSD card. One library/ebook app I tested copied all the books from the microSD card to the internal storage drive. Cue the "If I only had a brain" song.
CFWhitman

Mar 24, 2014
2:01 PM EDT
Well, I was speaking from the experience of running several different Android systems, some with original proprietary software and some with Cyanogenmod.

As far as I have seen, iOS isn't really any better, except that it tends to be a little more responsive on similar hardware because it's not running on a virtual machine. That hardly makes it worth all the disadvantages of being locked into Apple, so I have never owned an iOS device. Google is working to remedy this one advantage of iOS by developing the Art virtual machine, which uses installation time compilation rather than Just In Time compilation to boost responsiveness.

Realize that I use Android devices regularly, and I am not saying they're not worth using. I'm just saying that they don't seem to be as stable as my GNU/Linux based devices.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!