Goodbye Ubuntu%20One

Story: Canonical to Shut Down Ubuntu One, Start Saving Your Data NowTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
penguinist

Apr 02, 2014
7:26 PM EDT
I tried using Ubuntu%20One once when it first came out, but I just couldn't get past the annoying space character inside the top level path. I suppose that's a don't care for point and clickers, but it is very annoying and unnecessary extra work for those of us who like to automate most of what we do with scripting. This is another one of those bad ideas that is best left to torment unwitting Windows users, we don't need it here on the Linux side.

Goodbye Ubuntu%20One, if you do reincarnate please come back as UbuntuOne.
gary_newell

Apr 03, 2014
3:36 AM EDT
It is a shame but not a surprise.

When I got my Chromebook I was instantly given an upgrade on my Google Drive account to an amount that I couldn't ever possibly use (with my poor internet connection it would take about 20 years to fill it).

There is just too much competition for Ubuntu One to be profitable. The music service was a good idea (if it had been thought of before Google Play, iTunes, Amazon and every other music service that came before it).

This is another knife in the back of cloud computing though isn't it? Keep your stuff in the cloud, it is more secure and easily accessible. Can you please download your stuff because we are closing down?

Lets face it not every company would be so kind as to send out a message. How long before one goes bust and the servers are just shut down with no notice?
NoDough

Apr 03, 2014
10:16 AM EDT
Quoting:How long before one goes bust and the servers are just shut down with no notice?

About 2 years ago. Anyone remember MegaUpload?
cr

Apr 03, 2014
10:26 AM EDT
> Goodbye Ubuntu%20One, if you do reincarnate please come back as UbuntuOne.

Or UBUNTU~1?
penguinist

Apr 03, 2014
10:35 AM EDT
cr: you are too funny!
gary_newell

Apr 03, 2014
3:12 PM EDT
Megaupload was a case of the USA abusing their powers again.
cr

Apr 03, 2014
3:33 PM EDT
(With apologies to Roberta Anderson for the repeat:)

Trades from RAIDs to instance shares
 with outsourced staffing in the air
and ready storage everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

And now they don't just come from Sun they're put online by everyone with promises they'll always run and keep the crooks at bay

I've looked at clouds from both sides now from boot to crash, and still somehow With all the hype that I recall I really don't trust clouds at all.
jdixon

Apr 03, 2014
3:49 PM EDT
cr, the only appropriate thing to add to that is: http://xkcd.com/908/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!