Translation Unity is a smartphone/tablet interface

Story: Is Ubuntu's Unity Really All That Bad Nowadays?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
BFM

Jun 13, 2014
11:52 PM EDT
That is fine for people who use their computers just as they use their phones and tablets to consume content. I don't. My computers are workstations where I actually do creative work. There is a big difference and Unity is not part of how I use a workstation. So yes it is still that bad these days. I still want no part of it.
eldersnake

Jun 14, 2014
12:37 AM EDT
Hi BFM, I'm the author of the article in question.

I don't really agree that Unity 7, as we see it in Ubuntu 12.04 - Ubuntu 14.04 (etc), is a smartphone/tablet interface. Although I've not used that version of Unity on an actual tablet or smartphone, I imagine it would be pretty awkward to use. Hence why they created Ubuntu Touch version of Unity I suppose.

However, as I wrote in the ending of my article, Unity 8 is coming... and yes, it's looking like a smartphone/tablet interface.

Going to be interesting how users receive it, given how they responded to the more desktop friendly Unity we see in Ubuntu at the moment.
BFM

Jun 14, 2014
12:49 AM EDT
@eldersnake

To each his own I suppose. Yes it will be interesting how this goes. I still want no part of it.
mbaehrlxer

Jun 14, 2014
3:42 AM EDT
on my home workstation i use a gnome 2 system with compiz. at work i use unity.

turns out that the only difference i see is: colors, a row of application icons. (i have been a fan of this ever since the days of NeXTstep, and from all the dock imitations, the unity one is done best) and the only downside is the hidden menu bar.

for everything else unity and gnome 2 are the same. even down the the fact that compiz occasionally crashes.

i am not a fan of ubuntu, and i really hate what they did with hiding the menubar. but the gnome 2 menu annoys me almost as much, because it always takes time and precision mouse movements to find the right entry.

we'll see if unity 8 makes things worse or better...

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!