I'm using it more and more

Story: Firefox web browser popularity wanesTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 08, 2014
7:12 PM EDT
With Java seemingly no longer working for Chromium on Linux anymore and not being able to see any videos etc. no matter the distro I use. But it seems to work in FF I have all but stopped using Chromium now. I am getting used to using FF again, I like it..it works ;-)
notbob

Jul 08, 2014
8:32 PM EDT
Like I believe anything Jay Von Windows has to say. (didn't he lead a biker gang in a beach party movie?) ;)

I will agree that FF may have lost some fans. Linux fans, no doubt. They keep redesigning it to be more "we know best" and taking control away from the user. Use Seamonkey instead.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 08, 2014
8:38 PM EDT
[serious]

My only real problem with FF of late is their breaking bookmarking function. It was so easy previously, now it's mostly show with a "star?" motion to the unsorted no matter how you have set your Library to a specific folder. So if you are lucky manually moving it in the library will make the misdirected bookmark disappear from the unsorted. Maybe not too, since I had to go back a delete a moved bookmark later.

The old version of bookmarking was so much better. However, it is a price I will pay as long as the default on FF remains "no tracking". If you want to know the terrorists I consort with go rifle through the NSA data.

[/serious]

YBT
jdixon

Jul 08, 2014
9:23 PM EDT
Personally, I've switched to Pale Moon:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/

and

http://www.palemoon.org/
the_doctor

Jul 08, 2014
10:40 PM EDT
If you placed all the statisticians in the world end-to-end, you still couldn't reach a conclusion.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 08, 2014
10:49 PM EDT
I agree the way they have bookmarking set up it is a real pain, cant even get the bookmark pane to slide out without going through several clicks..going to check out pale moon.
buntfu

Jul 09, 2014
12:40 AM EDT
Steven can't write one article about anything thats even remotely bad or questionable about Google and their business practices, their intrusion into peoples personal information, the sale of that information or their political motives or positions. However, there is no problem writing articles that are so PRO Google that I can spot a steven article from the title alone. Write something worthwhile instead of being either a fan boy, sell out or being simply oblivious to what Google is actually doing as a whole. To say mozilla is a non player in mobile is exactly the same as saying in the 90's when MS was bundling IE with their OS that Netscape was a non player. I suppose Steven hopes his audience isn't old enough to remember those days, nor the reason for Netscape's demise or the antitrust trial. Some how since Google is doing the exact same thing that Microsoft did then, its ok. He has lost all credibility over the past couple years, those Google kickback paychecks must be huge. To all that use Chrome along with any antitracking extensions and the like, thats like putting lipstick on a pig.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 09, 2014
1:07 AM EDT
Since Chrome is segfaulting 100 percent of the time when I try to run it in Fedora 20 with the AMD Catalyst driver, I run Firefox exclusively in Linux.

In Windows 7, I can beat on Chrome, and it runs better than FF, so I stick with Chrome on my work desktop.
gary_newell

Jul 09, 2014
8:09 AM EDT
I was a Chrome convert for many years but generally I prefer to use FireFox.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 09, 2014
10:46 AM EDT
A while ago, some Chromium update caused Flash to stop working. Went back to Iceweasel (debian stable) and everything's been fine since.

The Chrome code base seems to run a bit faster than the Firefox code, but I prefer to use what works.
notbob

Jul 09, 2014
10:55 AM EDT
> My only real problem with FF of late is their breaking bookmarking function.

Near as I can tell, all the mozzy browsers bookmarks are now in json files. Some sorta javascript nonsense. You can "export" 'em as html files, but there's still a load of junk in 'em, the most egregious being the stupid <DD> comments.

Anyone got a good regex code to delete those DD lines using sed?
Bob_Robertson

Jul 09, 2014
12:15 PM EDT
"Anyone got a good regex code"

non-sequitur
CFWhitman

Jul 09, 2014
12:53 PM EDT
I spend a fair amount of time on photography and art sites. I want color management and profiling to work right in my browser, so I tend to use Mozilla based browsers like Firefox, Seamonkey, and Iceweasel. Of course, the exif information plug-ins are good too, but they may exist for other browsers (I haven't really looked). The last I looked, the color management features didn't exist in other browsers.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!