I am not happy for sure

Story: When "Free" Can SuckTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 20, 2014
4:19 PM EDT
I am using Firefox now on my Mint install because Chromium is now essentially useless to me. Its ok, but it is not Chromium which had and continued to up to this point be my browser of choice for many reasons.

Now? not so much.

I am getting used to Firefox quickly which is nice but why did Google decide to do this? Good question it seems. Oh well, FF is working and working fine. So be it.
mbaehrlxer

Jul 20, 2014
10:15 PM EDT
on one side we are complaining about google removing support for flash, and on the other we are criticize firefox for adding support DRM.

we can't have it both ways.

yes, i understand that some of us need flash, but i also believe that despite that we want to see flash gone. now how do you think we can achieve that? the only way is for someone to start and make a stand, just like google is doing now (and like apple did before)

yes, it hurts having to switch because your dependencies are no longer met, but in the long run developers will take notice and will stop using flash. and that can only be a good thing.

i don't depend on flash, and i already switched away from chromium for other reasons, so i am not affected by this and i can't claim to feel your pain. however i'd like you to consider that the sacrifice you are forced to make now will help to build a better future with less non-free software.

greetings, eMBee.
krisum

Jul 21, 2014
4:09 AM EDT
> on one side we are complaining about google removing support for flash

That is certainly not the case here. Flash is still very much supported in chrome/chromium. The issue here is stripping off java support. And the reason is just technical laziness and complete disrespect to the users: we want to get rid of NPAPI and force our PNPAPI over everyone. In fact PNPAPI is the API google developed for writing the pepperflash plugin. But what of plugins till the time PNPAPI plugins for java and others are still not available?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!