19 years with Debian

Story: Two Years With Debian GNU/Linux - An Average Guy's VerdictTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jul 24, 2014
10:06 AM EDT
Save verdict.
jdixon

Jul 24, 2014
1:34 PM EDT
Hey, you've been a Debian user almost as long as I've been a Slackware user. :)

In the end, it always seems to come back to Slackware or Debian, doesn't it?
Bob_Robertson

Jul 24, 2014
2:04 PM EDT
When the ISP at which I labored thanklessly in 1995 had tasked me with getting Solaris86 working, and I could not even get it to install, a coworker mentioned that he knew a well supported UNIX clone that was available, for free.

The boss turned him down. I wrote Debian onto 14 3.5" disks for my personal use that very afternoon.
jdixon

Jul 24, 2014
2:26 PM EDT
In February 1994, I installed Slackware on an old machine at work to use as a mail server. The site actually ran on it for a year or so until they "upgraded" to a Solaris box.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 25, 2014
8:35 AM EDT
I had been looking at Coherent (but didn't want to buy it, being a cheap bastard), and had been working on SunOS on SPARC systems for a couple of years. Having some UNIX experience already helped a great deal with diving into Linux.

Live CDs, graphic installs, Xorg auto-detection... Have you seen the YouTube video "Kids React to Old Computers"?
jdixon

Jul 25, 2014
9:11 AM EDT
> Have you seen the YouTube video "Kids React to Old Computers"?

No. I'll have to take a look at it. But I can't do that at work. :(

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!