more anti-Russia propaganda?

Story: Russian hackers amass 1.2B stolen Web credentialsTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
linuxscreenshot

Aug 06, 2014
10:19 PM EDT
Lots of US-based anti-Russia propaganda these days - without a lot of proof...
linuxscreenshot

Aug 06, 2014
10:35 PM EDT
Flight MH17 - What You're Not Being Told
seatex

Aug 07, 2014
12:03 AM EDT
Replace "Russia" with "NSA", regarding the theft of 1.2 billion web credentials.

I am more afraid of the US government now than I am terrorists or hackers.
CFWhitman

Aug 07, 2014
8:25 AM EDT
This story is rather vague. They'll have to be more specific if they expect to have any credibility with me. I saw someone referring to this story on the news yesterday and using it to argue for a central repository of user information with better security than all the individual sites in use now. Since when is a central repository for all your user data more secure? His argument seemed to scream "ulterior motive."
seatex

Aug 07, 2014
11:26 AM EDT
This must have been the Russians too?

Firm That Does Background Checks for Homeland Security Has Been Hacked

http://news.yahoo.com/firm-does-background-checks-homeland-s...
linuxscreenshot

Aug 07, 2014
12:32 PM EDT
Quoting:This must have been the Russians too?

Why must this be Russians? Any proof for such a dangerous assumption? Don't poke the bear...
NoDough

Aug 07, 2014
12:52 PM EDT
seatex wrote:I am more afraid of the US government now than I am terrorists or hackers.

Jefferson wrote:When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
jdixon

Aug 07, 2014
1:27 PM EDT
> Any proof for such a dangerous assumption?

The fact that there's a question mark after his statement indicates that it's a question rather than an assumption. One quite possibly asked with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
seatex

Aug 07, 2014
6:57 PM EDT
jdixon nailed the intent of my comment. I'm not assuming anything, just questioning everything coming from our government and state-controlled media.
jdixon

Aug 07, 2014
9:29 PM EDT
> jdixon nailed the intent of my commen

Most likely by pure luck. I've been bitten not catching such way to many times myself.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 08, 2014
3:38 PM EDT
I posted this in another thread moments ago..

Quoting:I want to stress something here. LXer is non-political, hence to say anybody is "war mongering" is, I believe, totally out of place in any LXer discussion. That's pure politics and I want no part of it nor do the LXer site rules allow it as a discussion point.

Could not agree more..Linux and FOSS by their nature have had and will continue to have an affect on things of a political nature, but the discussion of anything that has nothing to do with "Linux" itself has no place here. Yes, there have been and will continue to be articles posted on our newswire that have something to do with politics, but not our proponent of or against particular organizations etc..

At least that is my job to enforce and goal to achieve.

Scott
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 08, 2014
3:40 PM EDT
Linux and FOSS are about making computing and as a consequence the world a better place. If we can focus our conversations on that we are doing the right thing.

linuxscreenshot

Aug 08, 2014
4:12 PM EDT
It really is hard to separate politics and Linux, when this article has nothing to do with Linux, but instead is about the US blaming Russia for stolen passwords.

It seems that LXer has really evolved lately from LINUX/FOSS to cover a lot of NSA/Snowden stories, which I think is great.

No further comments.
gus3

Aug 08, 2014
5:10 PM EDT
I think it's a conspiracy by Putin to get LXer shut down.
DrGeoffrey

Aug 08, 2014
5:25 PM EDT
. . . sure glad I'm not drinking
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 08, 2014
6:08 PM EDT
Quoting:. . . sure glad I'm not drinking

with you there..;-)
BernardSwiss

Aug 08, 2014
6:37 PM EDT
Quoting: It really is hard to separate politics and Linux, when this article has nothing to do with Linux, but instead is about the US blaming Russia for stolen passwords.

Perhaps you missed it, because the word "Russia" in the article distracted you from the main points?

This article wasn't blaming "Russia", but rather, organized crime -- and the criminal gang involved just happens to be in Russia. The same applies to the linked, original story in the New York times. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/technology/russian-gang-sa... which as well as mentioning a large Vietnamese identity theft operation, also explicitly points out that
Quoting: Websites inside Russia had been hacked, too, and Mr. Holden said he saw no connection between the hackers and the Russian government.

Compare this to the spate of stories we've been seeing about Chinese "hacking", infiltrating systems and stealing information, where it's made pretty clear that the Chinese hackers are more or less explicitly operating under the auspices of the Chinese intelligence services, or the spate of stories about USA hacking, directly by actual US intelligence agencies.

I don't recall a lot of hullabaloo about flogging "propaganda"and "politics" at the expense of pertinent stories, for those...

Please, give it a break -- honestly, at best, you're straining at gnats, here...
TxtEdMacs

Aug 08, 2014
7:51 PM EDT
Hey Scott,

Are you serious?

You're PUt En Me On, Right?

YBT
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 08, 2014
9:08 PM EDT
I quit drinking almost a month ago..needed too. Glad I did.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!