LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Story: Non-Linux FOSS: AutoHotkeyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Browser72

Sep 11, 2014
7:48 PM EDT
The alternatives for Linux fall very short. Unlike xrec...I can't recall the name, this program has a real language that can handle events very smoothly.

If anyone is looking for an open source project to add to Linux, something along these lines would complete it IMHO.
mrider

Sep 11, 2014
10:28 PM EDT
http://xautomation.sourceforge.net
hkwint

Sep 12, 2014
10:25 AM EDT
Though I like AutoHotKey, the syntax is terrible. It takes ages to do a simple programming task, as the difference between statements and expressions and putting a value in a variable are totally confusing the hell out of me.

AHK shines though, where you need a quick Windows-GUI which users can run as a standalone app without installing anything, which is the company I'm currently working for.

I spend lots of time trying to compile some GUI with Python for Windows, but to no avail. AHK saved the day.

The funny thing here, is that first there was AutoIT, which in my opinion has an easier syntax then AHK, but because so many people were "leeching" AutoIT, they changed license to a more closed model. That's why I prefer AutoIT over AHK, but because AHK was GPL I switched.

So "AHK alternative" on Linux: Please no, rather have some Bash-extension with sane syntax which can create a GUI and send keys / mouse events.
mrider

Sep 12, 2014
11:32 AM EDT
I still use AutoIt on Windows. I'm with you hkwint, I'd prefer a more open license - but I just can't get past AHK's syntax. Windows is such a closed off caramel cluster anyway, that one more bit of closed off code isn't a big deal. I just pinch my nose and deal with the closed software, since I prefer the language and syntax.

The AutoIt folks are all big on Hungarian Notation though - which I'm dead set against (at least in it's currently bastardized usage). Makes me laugh when I see variable names like "$sString" or "$iInt". :)

[EDIT] As an aside, AutoIt runs just fine in Wine. You won't be able to remotely control any X controls, but the programming language works. Personally, I use the library I listed in my previous post when in an X Window environment.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!