Is this FUDora?

Story: How to replace LibreOffice with Apache OpenOffice on Fedora 20Total Replies: 6
Author Content
notbob

Oct 17, 2014
2:03 PM EDT
I have no idea what this guy is talking about. I have LO 4.2.2.1 on my Slackware 14.1 box. Cut/copy n' paste with mouse works jes fine, both with straight Linux mouse highlighting (left and middle buttons) and also with fluxbox's Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V keystrokes. Sounds like Fedora has issues.
kikinovak

Oct 17, 2014
2:15 PM EDT
What do you expect from a tech journalist with autostart videos on his blog?
notbob

Oct 17, 2014
2:25 PM EDT
> What do you expect from a tech journalist with autostart videos on his blog?

A reader with NoScript on his browser!
the_doctor

Oct 17, 2014
3:07 PM EDT
@ notbob -- Agreed.

I've never experienced a copy-and-paste problem within LO, either. But that aside, it's a good, straight-forward tutorial for those who prefer Oo to LO. It beats having to pay for MSo. :)
penguinist

Oct 17, 2014
3:14 PM EDT
Quoting:I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

Just for the record, I am using Fedora 20 on my desktop (xfce) and Libre Office works just fine. Certainly there are no issues whatsoever with copy/paste, either with keyboard or with mouse.

Perhaps the author found an issue with one of the other desktop alternatives that F20 supports. Personally I have not touched Gnome since their move to Version 3, so I can't comment on whether or not there is an issue with that desktop. Maybe someone else has some experience to share.

I find myself agreeing with kikinovak, the major thing that really annoyed me about this author's content was the unsolicited video and audio that he forces on visitors to his page. Very unprofessional in my opinion. I'm ready to dismiss this author's opinion as being uninformed.
BernardSwiss

Oct 17, 2014
7:10 PM EDT
Some interesting points come up in the comments discussing the article on the original site.

For one thing, middle-click copy-paste is still working -- but only if the selected text remains selected.

It's also pointed out that the mouse-driven (ie. "middle-click") copy-paste is actually a feature which is usually provided by X. So there's also some questions about how much this issue stems from alternative selection-buffer implementations furnished by the desktop environment (particularly KDE) and/or re-implemented by the latest versions of Libre Office.

(And hey :P what about LibreOffice/OpenOffice on Windows?)
BernardSwiss

Oct 17, 2014
7:18 PM EDT
Quoting: I find myself agreeing with kikinovak, the major thing that really annoyed me about this author's content was the unsolicited video and audio that he forces on visitors to his page. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

FlashBlock. Like a chain on the door, it keeps those pushy, unsolicited intruders at your computer screen from getting a foot in the door unless you actually invite one of them in. :-D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!