Systemd: A Wager and a civility pledge.

Story: Feature-creep will ensure that systemd staysTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
me1010

Oct 23, 2014
8:39 AM EDT
Probably not the most appropriate location for this - but...

In the interest of 'putting up and shutting up' regarding systemd...

I'll wager $5.00 USD in donations to the GNU Octave project per taker up to a value of $150.00 that in five years systemd is still the default init of most GNU/Linux distros.

Myself and all those taking the wager pledge not to comment on systemd in any on-line forum, story, post, media, website, newspaper, etc. for the next 90 days after commitment to wager.

I commit now - next allowable systemd comment no earlier than Jan 22nd 2015. *me1010
Bob_Robertson

Oct 23, 2014
9:36 AM EDT
I salute you, sir.
me1010

Dec 15, 2014
7:02 PM EDT
As promised:

Donation to GNU Octave.

tuppp

Dec 16, 2014
3:16 PM EDT
Don't understand your wager nor what you are trying to prove.
linux4567

Dec 17, 2014
5:07 AM EDT
> in five years systemd is still the default init of most GNU/Linux distros

None of use disputes that, with the grip that Red Hat has these days over the Linux ecosystem that's unfortunately very likely, but it's a bad thing, not a good thing, and that's what you don't seem to understand.
kikinovak

Dec 17, 2014
7:10 AM EDT
In five years Britney Spears and Justin Bieber will still be more popular than Wayne Shorter and Charles Mingus.
tuxchick

Dec 18, 2014
6:10 PM EDT
Quoting: In five years Britney Spears and Justin Bieber will still be more popular than Wayne Shorter and Charles Mingus.

And we have the first Godwin's!
JaseP

Dec 19, 2014
3:19 AM EDT
How does equating pop stars with jazz musicians qualify as invoking Godwin's Law???
tuppp

Dec 19, 2014
3:33 AM EDT
@JaseP

Of course, kikinovak was not equating Spears/Bieber with Shorter/Mingus, but was merely suggesting the similarity in the prevalence of shallow Spears/Bieber to that of systemd, in contrast to the relative obscurity of venerable jazz legends Shorter/Mingus (and future non-systemd distros).
tuxchick

Dec 19, 2014
8:26 AM EDT
Invoking Britney Spears and Justin Bieber is darn near terroristic.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 19, 2014
9:54 AM EDT
I was accused of violating Godwin's law (or invoking it, same thing I guess) by mentioning Prussia.
kikinovak

Dec 21, 2014
3:24 PM EDT
For the record: I'm not particularly anti- or pro-systemd. I use Slackware, which is one of the rare remaining distributions that hasn't implemented it yet. The day Slackware moves to systemd, I'll just do a bit of RTFM and use it. What motivated me was the equation "popularity = quality". History has taught us that more often than not, a weaker technology will prevail for obscure reasons. Remember Video 2000 vs. Betamax vs. VHS? Of the three candidates, Video 2000 was by far the best from a technical point of view, but VHS (the worst) eventually won the race.
JaseP

Dec 21, 2014
6:09 PM EDT
Quoting:History has taught us that more often than not, a weaker technology will prevail for obscure reasons.

Same is true of HD-DVD vs. BluRay. HD-DVD had better backward compatibility with the DVD standard (in terms of using it on computers), and better compatibility with the DVD-RW technology. BluRay won out, primarily, because the popular Playstation 3 had BluRay built in, usable without any additional purchases/upgrading of a Playstation 3 unit and was about the same cost as stand-alone BluRay or HD-DVD players (with the added benefit of being a popular gaming system, backwardly compatible with the Playstation 2). Similarly, your (kikinovak) cited Video 2000 vs. Betamax Vs. VHS was a case of the worst tech making it as the standard, for economic reasons (VHS units were cheaper to produce for those wanting to make competing units,... no/low royalties to pay).
number6x

Dec 22, 2014
10:58 AM EDT
But, Microsoft Windows is the most popular OS, so it must be the best!

What is considered the 'Best' product to the market, is not usually what a human being would consider 'Best'. The selection criteria re very different. The market usually chooses a product that is adequate and cheap.

skelband

Dec 23, 2014
1:38 PM EDT
Yes BluRay won principally because of the PS3.
patrokov

Dec 25, 2014
8:52 PM EDT
I can't speak to Video 2000, but the whole Betamax was superior just isn't correct. It may have had marginally higher video quality (debatable), but that is not what users valued. What they valued was the ability to record an entire movie unattended (or more). I remember using VHS for 20 years, and I don't think I ever recorded anything using SP mode, because getting six hours to a tape was more important than an increase in visual quality that was not noticeable on my TV.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2003/jan/25/comment.co...
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 26, 2014
7:25 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't think I ever recorded anything using SP mode, because getting six hours to a tape was more important than an increase in visual quality that was not noticeable on my TV.

I'm STILL using VHS. I have two recorders, and I never use SP because it takes FOREVER to rewind and to FF through commercials. EP forever!!!! (or until both VCRs break).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!