Wrong title

Story: One of the big issues with the Ubuntu repositories, in particular "universe", is that it's full of old and unmaintained versions.Total Replies: 1
Author Content
the_doctor

Oct 23, 2014
5:36 PM EDT
The title of this article is:

"ownCloud Asks Canonical to Remove Their Software from Ubuntu Repos, Sparks Fly"

not

"One of the big issues with the Ubuntu repositories, in particular "universe", is that it's full of old and unmaintained versions."
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 23, 2014
6:11 PM EDT
The OwnCloud people seem to be saying that they don't have time to maintain packages for distros, but I think they should rethink their decision and try to become the package maintainer for major projects such as Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora.

They would ensure quality by doing the work themselves, and they could offer the various versions, one of which I think is more stable (and hence older).

Backporting fixes from newer versions to older ones because the distros don't want to change versions -- I grant that is a problem, but maybe they can get around that. Even Ubuntu LTS releases get browser updates, so maybe OwnCloud can make a case for that kind of situation for their software.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!