Best Buy took it back no questions asked.

Story: Huge Computer Retail Chain in the UK Denies Warranty If Users Install LinuxTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Oct 27, 2014
1:00 PM EDT
I have to salute Best Buy, because when the AMD based laptop that I bought and tried to put Linux on, the APU/CPU/GPU of which was simply not well enough supported, they accepted it back without hesitation.

It wasn't a warrantee issue this time, maybe that is the difference. I know very well that once I have put Linux on a machine, asking for any warrantee work is problematic.
me1010

Oct 27, 2014
2:29 PM EDT
I don't buy anything at Best Buy anymore... they have a policy of a restocking fee for everything -- So, I buy most consumer electronics on New Egg, Tiger Direct, or - oddly and unexpectedly - Target or Sears for brick and mortar stores...

Avoid Radio Shack for everything except batteries unless you like paying quadruple for low quality items.
penguinist

Oct 27, 2014
3:01 PM EDT
Whenever I buy a new notebook computer, I always save off a dd image of the "recovery partition" just in case I need to send the unit back for warranty service, then I am free to wipe the whole disk for a Linux installation.

This practise bailed me out one time about two years into a three year ultrabook warranty. I had a keyboard issue, so I just reinstalled the original software configuration that came with the device when it was new. There were no issues at the vendor since they received a unit that had the original "factory configuration". My unit was promptly repaired and returned to me. Then I promptly reimaged the disk back to the same Linux configuration as I had before sending it off.

It's nice how Linux gives us such great low level access so that we can just slide disk images from partition to archived file and then back to partition again.

By the way, I've also had good vibes from our local Best Buy. Whenever I buy a peripheral with the intention to use it in a Linux system, I specifically state that to the sales person and ask what the return policy would be in the event that I found the device to not be compatible. The answer has always been one that I was happy with, and the few times I did need to do a return there were no hassles. I'm sure each local store offers a different experience, but I think it is also useful for sales people to hear customers asking questions about the Linux compatibility of the products they sell.
rnturn

Oct 27, 2014
4:44 PM EDT
@penguinist: I used that trick back in my Win95 days. Install a clean copy of Windows and immediately use 'dd' to make a copy to tape (yeah... tape). Then I could install anything I wanted -- demo of an application, game, whatever -- onto a pristine version of Windows. If Windows ever scribbled on itself or I no longer needed/wanted to use that software, getting back to a clean copy was a snap. Nowadays I could do the same thing using a live Linux CD and an external disk drive.

I've found that the folks at TigerDirect are pretty understanding when I tell them my plans to run Linux on the hardware. Even at Best Buy (though some of their reps still look at me like I'm from Mars when I mention Linux). I know about Best Buy's restocking fees. Not sure if TD has them as I only buy components from them that I've done enough research on to know they work with Linux but when I returned a couple of disk drives that I discovered were unsuitable for use in a Linux RAID configuration (they worked fine in a non-RAID setup) they took them back without a fee. Not sure how that would have played out had it been a product that had Windows pre-installed. So far I've been fortunate enough to never have to pay that fee.
JaseP

Oct 27, 2014
5:07 PM EDT
Quoting: Avoid Radio Shack for everything except batteries unless you like paying quadruple for low quality items.

AC adapters... Radio Shack is still THE place to get AC adapters,... Unless you want to wait 3-8 weeks and take a chance with Ali Baba,...
me1010

Oct 27, 2014
8:18 PM EDT
@JaseP:

Have you tried Jameco?

AC supplies:

[url=http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDrillDownView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryName=category_root&subCategoryName=Power Supplies ]http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalog...[/url] %26%20Wall%20Adapters&category=45

or main site:

http://www.jameco.com/

They have tons of AC adapters. They tend to be a bit more expensive than Digikey, but the website is easier to search sometimes...

http://www.digikey.com

I typically get basic electronic breadboard items from Jameco, and the higher function ICs from Digikey.

BTW: A long long time ago, I worked at Radio Shack. There's about 400% markup for everything.
JaseP

Oct 28, 2014
2:07 AM EDT
... And if you don't live near Belmont, CA or Thief River Falls, MN,... and you need your AC adapter right now,... What then?!?! I guess you're S-O-L...
CFWhitman

Oct 28, 2014
9:01 AM EDT
Well, the comments about Radio Shack are a bit of an exaggeration. Radio Shack items at regular prices actually run a little less than double what you'd pay for a similar item elsewhere. Also, the quality is usually decent. If you wait for a sale, then you actually get a decent deal on their electronics.

Now that they sell a lot more name brands (rather than all their own stuff) prices are closer to what you'd get elsewhere. For some things they're exactly the same (MSRP). I've gotten a good deal on a few items on sale. As a general rule, you should wait for sales unless you're looking to get a small, unique item that you don't want to wait for or unless you have to pay the MSRP anywhere you would get the item.
gary_newell

Oct 29, 2014
5:21 AM EDT
The UK retail chain in question are confusing store policy with customer's statutory rights.

Up to 6 months a consumer can take an item back if it is faulty and receive a full refund. It is up to the retailer to prove that there was misuse of the product. They have to prove the Linux is the cause of hardware failure.

Between 6 and 12 months a consumer has to prove there was something wrong with the computer that wasn't through general wear and tear.

Under European Law electrical goods must last at least 2 years or the consumer has every right to get them fixed.

Under English and Welsh law an item must last a reasonable length of time and a consumer has 6 years to make a claim. A reasonable length of time is obviously a bit woolly but basically if you buy a plastic comb it might only last a couple of weeks but you can expect a washing machine to last 3 or 4 years and a computer to last at least 3 years but potentially much longer.

Under Scottish law the consumer has the same rights but just 5 years to make a claim.

Currys can void their own in store warranty if they like but it makes no difference to the consumer's rights.

Of course it has just sent every Linux user who is thinking of buying a computer to any other store. To be honest if you are a Linux user you probably have more sense than to use Currys/PC World in the first place.

Their technical team is called Know How. It is short for I don't know how and refers to the technical support team who don't know how to do anything.
caitlyn

Nov 04, 2014
12:14 PM EDT
If you read the update to the article Currys/PC World have denied that this is true and will honor the warranty on Linux systems. It appears that some managers haven't gotten that message yet. They will after this bit of bad press.

Best Buy does honor their warranty on Linux systems. They just aren't very good at fixing things.

Radio Shack is getting a very unfair tarring and feathering regarding their pricing. They've had to become competitive in their effort to survive. I recently bought a stereo receiver from them after my old one failed to survive my last move. It's a Sherwood, which is certainly not the audiophile brand they were back in the '70s. Having said that the price was better than similar models in other stores or the same receiver in other stores, including online shops. It sounds surprisingly good through my Teac speakers. I've also bought odd parts and connectors from them. They still stock more than the big box competitors and their prices on items others do have are comparable. Oh, and they have some ASUS T-100 Transformer systems on close out and the price is very decent.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!