Me too - I'd be interested to know !

Story: .Net is now open so what will Miguel de Icaza do? Total Replies: 8
Author Content
Ridcully

Nov 14, 2014
6:38 AM EDT
Like Sam Varghese.....what will Miguel do now ? I remember vividly the huge and sometimes very acrimonious debates about Mono......and now Redmond has apparently "lanced the boil" for good and all - probably for cash flow reasons if the truth be told. There is no longer a "raison d'etre" for Mono as far as I can see. Would I be right in thinking Microsoft's latest moves on .NET have rendered all all of the Mono code virtually valueless ? Dare I suggest Miguel might join the Linux research group at Redmond ? I'm probably too cynical. :-)
r_a_trip

Nov 14, 2014
8:41 AM EDT
>Would I be right in thinking Microsoft's latest moves on .NET have rendered all all of the Mono code virtually valueless ?

Not quite. .NET core is the "CLI part". Mono still has all the juicy client-side stuff going for it.
CFWhitman

Nov 14, 2014
1:47 PM EDT
Too much of legacy .NET is very Windows specific. It may help Mono to get their hands on that code, but there isn't really a practical way to port it to another operating system. .NET Core and Mono Core on the other hand, might be direct competitors. Really, though, Mono's biggest success is MonoGame, and I don't see that going away quickly because of the open sourcing of .NET. Over the long run, I don't know.
mrider

Nov 14, 2014
1:47 PM EDT
Keep in mind that this means that one will soon be able write back-end code using an "official" .NET port. It does not mean that the .NET WinForms (sp?) or Silverlight (again sp?) stuff will work. I suspect that Mono will have a life as a support system for e.g. Moonlight for some time to come.
gus3

Nov 14, 2014
6:11 PM EDT
Whoa... Mono in GNOME, systemd in The GImp.

Maybe it's time to learn Motif?
mbaehrlxer

Nov 17, 2014
12:34 PM EDT
c, c++, python, ruby, lisp, and many other languages all have multiple implementations. and multiple freely licensed implementations too. if anything, it is a strength for a language, not a weakness.

greetings, eMBee.
Ridcully

Nov 17, 2014
5:06 PM EDT
SJVN's article now posted on LXer "The open-sourcing of Microsoft" pretty much puts the whole Miguel/Mono thing to bed as far as I am concerned - and agrees with the general comments above. What fascinates me even more is the general thrust of Steven's article. I once very jokingly said on another thread that we could even see a release of "Micronux".....perhaps that isn't such a whimsical statement after all ? Not yet......but...maybe, perhaps, possibly, could be ? Dunno, but it sure is interesting times.
linux4567

Nov 20, 2014
12:11 AM EDT
With systemd and by supporting MS Secure Boot Red Hat is working actively in making Linux more and more Microsoft Windows like therefore making it easier for Microsoft to merge Windows and Linux at some point in the future...
Ridcully

Nov 20, 2014
12:40 AM EDT
Somewhere else on a thread on LXer, I used the coined term: "Windowsification" as a clumsy way of expressing how I saw the effects of systemd on Linux. I can think of no better way to describe it.....Windows uses binary files and hidden bits and pieces that are virtually impossible to alter or "fix"....Is that what systemd is doing because that's how all the information came across to me ?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!