This is one of my favorite utilities

Story: Smartctl - Monitoring & Analysis tool for Hard driveTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Nov 18, 2014
7:26 PM EDT
I run smartctl every time I boot-up my desktop, and after every back-up (I have a trivially simple rsync script which I run once or twice a week), and/or sometimes before the back-up, as well.

I save the smartctl results to a dedicated directory alongside 1st-level back-ups for email, bookmarks and the more important config files.

More importantly -- I actually look at the smartctl data before and/or after every back-up -- so I have some vague idea what "normal" is.

This has paid off more than once, as I can start looking for a good deal on a replacement harddrive before problems otherwise become apparent.

In fact, this summer I brought home a harddrive on a Saturday morning, to replace a particular drive... which failed suddenly and without any apparent warning -- aside from smartctl data showing ballooning error rates -- that very evening. (What can I say... I'd put off buying the replacement a bit too long, so I could check out the swap meet for bargains. Besides... I had back-ups).

- - -

There's also some nice, GUI front-ends for smartctl, that make it easier to check your drives and understand what the data actually means, while one gets familiar with it)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!