Top 5 Linux News in 2015

Story: What will happen to Linux in 2015?Total Replies: 16
Author Content
kikinovak

Dec 16, 2014
7:15 PM EDT
Short peek in my crystal ball. Here's what's going to happen.

1. Slackware 14.2 will be released. If it's ready.

2. KDE 5.x will fix 97.302 bugs and introduce 102.243 new ones.

3. Xfce 4.10 will fix two bugs, which brings it closer on the roadmap to the 4.12 release.

4. LibreOffice 4.4.0 will be integrated into systemd.

5. The Devuan team will start work on their fork of Debian, as soon as they have finished choosing the Technical Committee and the Devuan Board Members.

Cheers,

NK
Ridcully

Dec 16, 2014
8:25 PM EDT
I keep looking at #2........and try not to laugh. #4 is reason enough for me to stay with Apache OO. It's odd, but I like OO more than LO......and I don't know why. I suspect that Debian will rue the day they made the need for #5, if they aren't already.
seatex

Dec 16, 2014
9:16 PM EDT
Those seem like solid predictions to me, based on past experience. What about Gnome though? What remaining features/controls will be removed? Will it end up being a pretty resource-heavy fluxbox?
notbob

Dec 16, 2014
9:56 PM EDT
> Will it end up being a pretty resource-heavy fluxbox?

Who cares, as long as I can still use the current fluxbox.

Looks like I'll be changing back to AOO, also. No biggie, as I have use for office software only rarely.

See. Choice I can live with. ;)
seatex

Dec 16, 2014
10:16 PM EDT
> Who cares, as long as I can still use the current fluxbox.

I'm keeping an eye on LXQt also - looks promising.
Koriel

Dec 17, 2014
2:09 AM EDT
@seatex

LXQT is seconded here, have high hopes for it.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 17, 2014
12:49 PM EDT
Duke Nukem 3 will be released native to Linux with no Windows port.
seatex

Dec 17, 2014
1:10 PM EDT
> Duke Nukem 3 will be released native to Linux with no Windows port.

But, will it be any good? I hope so.
kikinovak

Dec 17, 2014
6:05 PM EDT
More Linux News in 2015

6. GNOME 3.16 introduces the fixed-window paradigm. Every application has an ideal window position on the screen. According to the GNOME developers, it will still be possible to move windows on the desktop using the Tweak Tool at least until version 3.18. Beyond that, this functionality will eventually be disabled permanently.

7. After a heated exchange on LKML, Linus Torvalds offers a public apology to Lennart Poettering, stating that his suggestion to "practice [unnamed sexual practice] with Taliban carpet salesmen's dogs" may have gone a bit too far.

8. The Swiss Police Force migrates 45.000 desktop client computers from Windows Seven to Hannah Montana Linux.

9. Scientists find out that climate change is due primarily to the widespread adoption of Gentoo Linux and the constant heating of compiling CPU's in datacenters worldwide.

10. Richard Stallman issues a fatwa on Canon printer drivers.

:o)
Ridcully

Dec 18, 2014
1:41 AM EDT
@kikinovak......may I humbly and very respectfully suggest you edit #7 - some may see it as infringing the TOS, but for the rest of it, I love it - #10 is brilliant, the only decent Canon drivers for Linux are those produced by Turboprint. I've tried a Linux driver produced by Canon itself and it was nothing short of embarrassingly disgusting at the time.
notbob

Dec 18, 2014
12:29 PM EDT
C'mon, Kiki!

You know the first thing a Slackware user learns, is, how to compile code from source, right? Heck, even Slackbuilds.com is merely a repository of pre-tweaked build scripts to compile from.

Oh..... and 10 is hilarious! ;)
NoDough

Dec 18, 2014
1:37 PM EDT
11. Red Hat releases systemd Linux consisting of a boot manager and the 12.5GB systemd binary which has incorporated bash, X, KDE, and 663 other programs.

seatex

Dec 18, 2014
1:48 PM EDT
Don't like SystemD? You're a dinosaur. Don't like phone/tablet touch interfaces on your desktop (ala Windows 8, Gnome 3, Unity)? You're a dinosaur. Don't like losing your privacy and having all your communications spied on by the NSA? You're a dinosaur. Don't like having a black box in your car, recording your driving and sending the data to unknown recipients? You're a dinosaur.

My prediction for 2015? Dinosaurs make a comeback.
NoDough

Dec 18, 2014
1:57 PM EDT
seatex:

1. I'm systemd agnostic, but couldn't resist making the joke.

2. It's a joke.

3. You have no sense of humor.

4. I was probably in IT before you were born so, yes, I am a dinosaur.

5. Comeback? What makes you think we went away?
seatex

Dec 18, 2014
2:40 PM EDT
NoDough - Yes, I am a dinosaur as well. ;-)
CFWhitman

Dec 18, 2014
4:07 PM EDT
@NoDough I think if you read seatex's reply carefully, you'll realize that it is a joke as well.
NoDough

Dec 18, 2014
5:16 PM EDT
Had to read it slower, but yeah, caught it the second time. I'm a serial skimmer. (Let the breakfast jokes begin.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!