So, why didn't this story have a *humour* tag?

Story: The Grinch That Tried to Exploit LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Dec 20, 2014
10:48 PM EDT
It even had a punchline.
Ridcully

Dec 21, 2014
12:42 AM EDT
Possibly because anything to do with security isn't humorous ?

And most of that story gave a serious explanation about the Grinch itself, plus a real security flaw.

Sorry BernardSwiss......my reply above is a little terse; I've just been out raking up three small trailer loads of mulch and I'm all "hot and sweaty". So in an attempt to be nice again: Merry Christmas to you and a Prosperous New Year.......It's overcast and 29C where I am at the moment and possibly a thunderstorm.
the_doctor

Dec 21, 2014
1:53 AM EDT
Ridcully

Dec 21, 2014
3:10 AM EDT
Alfred E. Linuxman no less. Marvellous.
BernardSwiss

Dec 21, 2014
9:37 PM EDT
Well...

I was thinking in terms of "unintentional humour" -- sometimes my own sense of humour is rather dry...

(and the punchline was the inevitable conclusion, that "[t]he alleged Grinch vulnerability is documented and expected behavior for a Linux system.")

-

Anyways -- best of the season to you and yours, as well.
gary_newell

Dec 22, 2014
11:57 AM EDT
They should have called the bug "Santa Claus" and then we could all be having the debate as to whether Santa does or does not exist and just how serious is he.

Of course Santa Claus could be seen as a potential security flaw. Every year this alleged person climbs down people's chimneys giving him local administrator access to children and he deposits items into the children's bedrooms (ie presents).

Of course "Red Hat" would deny he even exists. (boom boom). Thank you very much. I'm here all week.

Ridcully

Dec 22, 2014
5:04 PM EDT
Hey Gary_newell.......of COURSE Santa Claus exists.....don't destroy an mature aged gentleman's dreams. We even have a proper open fireplace and suitable chimney and one of these days I'm gonna be awake when:

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof

The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,

Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.

PS.......I put this in about 5-6 hours later on after a little thought. Mind you, on our metal roof, it might be the "clattering and clashing of each little hoof"......and possibly some cursing under the breath if it's been raining and the surface is very, very slippery. Does Santa Claus carry personal injury insurance ? However, the fireplace and chimney are classic in structure so he'll have no problems there.

And for all Terry Pratchett fans: Don't forget the Hogfather.....Oink.

And also from Hex: +++ Happy Hogswatch +++

PPS.........Thanks Bernard_Swiss....much appreciated.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!