Proprietary software in the news industry

Story: Newsrooms see the light of open sourceTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 22, 2015
2:33 PM EDT
If I told you how terrible the proprietary CMS software in the news industry really is, you wouldn't believe it. The system I'm using now is so inflexible, slow and poorly coded (it's created by a Microsoft shop), it's not at all pleasant to use.

And these things are hella expensive.

A free software offering has an excellent chance of succeeding: News organizations are so cheap, they will flock to this for the free-as-in-beer aspects alone.
number6x

Jan 23, 2015
2:07 PM EDT
The python platform Django was basically developed to write a CMS for the online sites associated with the Lawrence Jornal-World newspaper.

Check out the 'Django's History' section here: http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/chapter01.html

Django is not an out of the box solution, but a framework for creating solutions. Not an easy problem to solve. Vendors must cut some pretty big corners to remain profitable selling proprietary solutions.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 24, 2015
2:38 AM EDT
I know that there are some content-management systems used by news organizations that were coded in-house using Django, but I don't know of anything that is available as free software.
lcafiero

Jan 29, 2015
9:15 PM EDT
"If I told you how terrible the proprietary CMS software in the news industry really is, you wouldn't believe it."

Yes, I would Steven. Remember, I once worked in the same newspaper chain for which you now work :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!