Full Circle

Story: Break away from free cloud storage providers by using ownCloudTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
maxxedout

Jan 27, 2015
9:43 AM EDT
Well, that did take long. We have already come full circle on using the Cloud.
mrider

Jan 27, 2015
11:38 AM EDT
I think you mean didn't. :)

Not surprisingly, it makes sense to have some of one's workload on someone else's server. So of course the dumb **** pundits think this means that having any kind of in-house workload is dying. It would be annoying if it weren't so much fun to point and laugh.
NoDough

Jan 27, 2015
1:45 PM EDT
No more Cloud computing! Oh no, what am I gonna do?

First I had to replace Distributed-Computing with Client-Server.

Then I had to replace Client-Server with Thin-Client.

Then I had to replace Thin-Client with Web 2.0.

Then I had to replace Web 2.0 with Cloud.

What will I replacing Cloud computing with?
tuppp

Jan 27, 2015
2:24 PM EDT
NoDough wrote:Oh no, what am I gonna do?

First I had to replace Distributed-Computing with Client-Server.

Then I had to replace Client-Server with Thin-Client.

Then I had to replace Thin-Client with Web 2.0.

Then I had to replace Web 2.0 with Cloud.

What will I replacing Cloud computing with?

Ha, ha! Exactly!
seatex

Jan 27, 2015
5:42 PM EDT
I never jumped on the cloud bandwagon, for all the reasons people are leaving it now.

Maybe I just have a thing with not trusting 3rd parties with my data, or making it vulnerable by transmitting it over the internet.

I'm silly that way. Of course, I still use a flip phone too.
gary_newell

Jan 28, 2015
4:30 AM EDT
Cloud services were supposed to make it possible for us to do a number of things

1. Keep our files secure 2. Provide a backup to our onsite storage in case of a disaster (i.e. fire, burglary) 3. Enable us to access our files anywhere

As an individual I'm not sure hosting my own cloud addresses any of those issues. To keep the files secure the ultimate way to do this would be to prevent external access. To prevent external access means losing number 3.

To enable access to files anywhere I have to open up my home network somewhere and that instantly adds a level of security risk meaning 1 is at stake.

And in neither scenario is 2 addressed.

I like using Dropbox. I don't have any really secure files to worry about though. If someone wants to get a picture of me wearing a hat in New York I will send it to them. They don't have to break into my Dropbox account
Ridcully

Jan 28, 2015
5:17 AM EDT
Seatex and Gary.......I'm a very old fashioned type of user. I have never used cloud and never will. I like the fact that I can store all my material on a couple of backup hdd's and have total control at all times over my data. I personally find cloud services the "flavour of the month" and I suspect that those who really, really like them and have a good use for them will continue....And the rest of us "unwashed masses" will go back to what we always did: backup our data and keep it personally.
nmset

Jan 28, 2015
6:42 AM EDT
I do run an OwnCloud instance for personal use and I find it very useful to be able to get my files anywhere, though I don't do that every day. One major advantage is to be able to share links to others to forward huge or confidential(?) files. Really confidential material do not fit in that scope. I 've never been at ease with the idea of others storing my stuff. Now it's not completely foolproff as far as confidentiality is concerned, it's all reduced to access to a private key. The latter can be stolen by different means.

Calendaring with OwnCloud is also great, perhaps THE motto.
maxxedout

Jan 28, 2015
2:26 PM EDT
Yes mrider, I meant didn't :)

NoDough, That was fun...
jimbauwens

Jan 28, 2015
3:02 PM EDT
I've been using OwnCloud for several years now, mainly to share data and calendars with my fellow students. I could use dropbox and other services but I prefer to be in control of my data. Besides that I could modify several things in the owncloud code base in order to hook it up with alternate services I made. That would be a bit harder with the other available options.
NoDough

Jan 29, 2015
10:39 AM EDT
We looked at OwnCloud a year or two ago and decided it wasn't ready for us yet.

Recently, I've done a little (very little) research on Pydio (http://pyd.io). Does anyone have any experience with it?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!