Cellphone Interfaces

Story: Don't forget one of Linux's best features: How to use multiple workspacesTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
BFM

Mar 09, 2015
2:45 PM EDT
What the author is really complaining about are UIs like Unity and Gnome3 Shell. They mimic cellphone and tablet interfaces but do not make very efficient use of screen real estate afforded by large flat-screen monitors. Adding access to multiple desktops only marginally improves this basic problem. He should select from a group of desktops like Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, Xfce, and a couple of others. That will give him a selection of various weight desktops. More important, any one of them will let him use a workstation as a workstation.
CFWhitman

Mar 10, 2015
9:15 AM EDT
I believe the author talks about how to add workspaces in Cinnamon as well as Unity. I've never used Unity or Gnome 3 Shell, but I've pretty much always used workspaces in Linux, even when I was on IceWM, Fluxbox, or Openbox. Since I started using Linux and got used to workspaces, I've always really missed them when I was forced to use Windows. Previous efforts to put workspaces in Windows didn't really work right. I wonder if this new one will.
flufferbeer

Mar 10, 2015
10:22 AM EDT
@BFM,

>> What the author is really complaining about are UIs like Unity and Gnome3 Shell. They mimic cellphone and tablet interfaces ......

Yeah, and the Loonity UI is yet another of $huttleworth2much's desire to have one-size-fits-all for all devices under the [non-Oracle] Sun.

2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!