Code of Conduct email reply hypocracy

Story: Linux 'Code of Conduct' is neither Code nor ConductTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
buntfu

Mar 17, 2015
7:12 PM EDT
I also emailed tab@lists.linux-foundation.org about my distaste for it. Their response was arguably just as bad as what they are supposedly trying to stop. Example

MY EMAIL

"Catering to complainers whose feelings are hurt because they didn't make the grade doesn't do anyone any good, it just rewards sub par performance."

THEIR REPLY

"I'm not entirely sure how to reply to this without catering to complainers, but don't worry, the TAB isn't some soft and squishy set of apologists hell bent on ruining Linux."

Considering their mission is to "protect anyone who feels personally abused, threatened, or otherwise uncomfortable due to this process, that is not acceptable,"

Wouldn't that also include patronizing those with concerns?

PLEASE FORGIVE THE MISSPELLING, common mistake of mine with the word hypocrisy.
thenixedreport

Mar 18, 2015
5:40 PM EDT
I can understand the concern in regards to quality of coding. With that said, I see one of two possible scenarios:

1.) They don't single anyone out and are truly harsh towards all coders whose code quality is lacking.

or

2.) Code quality is so low that the point is proven. Torvalds himself once said he tried being polite in the past, but the quality of code didn't improve. He also does say that he regrets what he says from time to time.
CFWhitman

Mar 20, 2015
10:28 AM EDT
Well, I'm not sure what the shakedown of this will be. However, the way it's worded doesn't seem to necessarily preclude being blunt. It just forbids personal attacks.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!