it mostly works

Story: KDE Tops PollTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
lpbbear

Mar 27, 2015
5:09 PM EDT
I use KDE and I basically wouldn't use any other desktop manager. But not everything works as it should. My distro is PCLinuxOS but I have seen the same issue elsewhere. Using Konqueror as Root (Konqueror-Super User Mode) and attempting to change the permissions on a folder does not work right and has not for years. Right click, properties, select permissions tab, assign user and group and select "Apply changes to all subfolders and their contents" results in a mishmash of file/folder permissions. I generally give up and resort to the command line which does work properly. Numerous other issues as well. Samba GUI setup rarely works right. I have to resort to hand editing the smb.conf file before it works at all. There are many other similar annoying issues. While I would never go to Windows I sure wish this annoying crap would get fixed and stay fixed.
JaseP

Mar 27, 2015
5:20 PM EDT
KDE is tops in my book (since the Gnome devs went off the rails). But it IS buggy. I've never had a problem with SAMBA on KDE,... But I tend towards password-less setup with a few minor manual config file tweaks. My biggest problem with KDE is the inability to turn off DPMS (need chron jobs running an xset command to continually deactivate it). I have noticed permissions issues with SAMBA shares, but always attributed them to SAMBA problems, not KDE.
lpbbear

Mar 28, 2015
5:44 AM EDT
With regard to the file permissions scenario I wasn't using Samba at all with that. I was simply trying to use the GUI based tools to change permissions on a folder and the files within that folder. I was doing it as root and unless there's some "secret sauce" that was MIA in the GUI that I am unaware of I was doing it exactly as whoever designed the tool intended. It simply doesn't work at all. I have the seen same issue for years. I only try it these days to see if anyone has ever bothered to fix it. With regards to the Samba issues. Same basic problem. Use the GUI interface to set up file sharing as presumably the original author(s) intended, doesn't work. Have to hand edit smb.conf to get it working at all.
nmset

Mar 28, 2015
6:33 AM EDT
One regression since KDE4 is the lack of support of client X509 certificates to access remote services, as far as KDE applications are concerned. Non KDE application can use them (Chromium, Firefox, Gajim...) but not one single KDE application. That's not a big problem as they are rarely required and there are alternatives. Yet, we'd love to see that.
ljmp

Mar 28, 2015
7:35 AM EDT
@lbbear:

I use samba for a few things. However, I don't use KDE. I've also never been able to successfully use the GUI to configure samba correctly. I seem to remember getting very lost in the GUI documentation and getting confused with seemingly conflicting information in the samba documentation.

So, now I just edit the files manually - it's very easy once you get the hang of the remembering that samba users are not the same as OS users -- and are added and managed using the smb toolset with its own /etc/samba/smbpasswd file rather than /etc/passwd. I'm not sure why the samba GUI always seems broken... maybe it's because there are some distro associated file locations that are incorrect. But I don't think this is a strictly KDE issue.
lpbbear

Mar 28, 2015
11:07 AM EDT
@ljmp

Yes, as with the file permissions GUI issue I pretty much expect its not going to work before trying. I think I do it now just to see how ridiculously long these issues are going to continue before they get fixed. I end up editing them manually too. It is easy but since I rarely look at it once I have done it I have to go do a quick refresher each time. If there is going to be GUI interface for it at least make it do more than occupy visual space in a system.

The only distro I have ever used that did get the GUI Samba controls right was Xandros many years ago. Every other distro I have tried has been a kludge fest in this area. Maybe there are some that work flawlessly and I haven't happened across them yet.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!