Midnight Commander

Story: 8 Linux file managers to tryTotal Replies: 4
Author Content

Apr 22, 2015
3:00 PM EDT
I early on dismissed this as just another dual column manager, and i can't get my head around those.

But then i poked around some while bored, and found that i could make a pane full width, while also being able to tab into the other pane for when i need to do file copies.

And i could make the pane show just the info i needed.

And just today i found that yes i can do SSH file transfers as well, by doing "cd sh://ip-address:port/".

All of a sudden mc became one hell of a cure all for my file management blues.
ljmp

Apr 22, 2015
5:09 PM EDT
I've tried Midnight Commander several times. I just don't like it. Kind of me trying emacs. I just don't like that program either... I've tried to like these things - but I don't...

My favorite GUI file manager, PCManFM, also can connect to a remote filesystem through ssh. I'm sure Nautilus can too -- but that's a Gnome thing, and so requires the user to load 46,619 dependencies.

The wonderful and terrible thing about GNU/Linux systems is that one can transfer files and connect things in any one or 20 of 40 different methods simultaneously.
jdixon

Apr 23, 2015
2:27 AM EDT
> ...but that's a Gnome thing, and so requires the user to load 46,619 dependencies.

The worst thing is that's almost the truth.
penguinist

Apr 23, 2015
7:53 AM EDT
ditto for KDE apps...
jacog

Apr 23, 2015
10:14 AM EDT
At work I run awm, with the idea being that I'd do things faster if I elimimate the mouse where possible. This has lead me to start using console equivalents of a lot of apps, which includes mc. End result is indeed that things get done faster and with the bonus that my desktop looks like that of some mad Hollywood hacker.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!