Way to go, Dell!

Story: Dell Launches Cheap Ubuntu-Powered Inspiron 15 3000 SeriesTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
seatex

May 21, 2015
10:45 AM EDT
Thanks Dell, for FINALLY offering a cheap Linux laptop! I wonder if you'll be getting fish heads delivered from Redmond soon?

I just wish they would offer Ubuntu MATE, Xubuntu or Linux Mint preinstalled, as Unity is not the best cup of tea for new users, in my opinion. I also think the Amazon search thing will give a bad impression as well.

May 21, 2015
1:41 PM EDT
US only for now, but a interesting start.
jdixon

May 21, 2015
1:41 PM EDT
It would be nice, but it's simple enough to install the Mate or XFCE desktops.
nmset

May 21, 2015
3:29 PM EDT
Some minimal information about booting would have been welcome : BIOS/UEFI/optional secure boot. The first thing a non Ubuntu guy would do is install his prefered distro. Yet, it's the first offer in my view targetting the general user, from a big vendor. Hats off Dell !
flufferbeer

May 21, 2015
5:12 PM EDT
@seatex,

> Thanks Dell, for FINALLY offering a cheap Linux laptop! I wonder if you'll be getting fish heads delivered from Redmond soon?

One question I'd ask is whether the big CanUBecomical boy$ would ever put some kinda HARD-TO-DISABLE thing on Dell's cheap linux laptop? Maybe something besides the Baboontu Amazon-search bug, like BIOS/UEFI/optional boot shenanigans? Hey, another thread discussed how some Chromebooks ALREADY do this!

2c
jdixon

May 21, 2015
9:35 PM EDT
> Yet, it's the first offer in my view targetting the general user, from a big vendor. Hats off Dell !

Dell offered a couple of netbooks and some of their Optiplex machines with Linux back about 6 years ago now. My Mini-9 was one of them. It cost me $200 plus shipping at the time. It still runs fine, though the battery has started to go on it.
seatex

May 21, 2015
10:38 PM EDT
Now if they would just offer a 17" screen version with at least 1600x900 resolution... hoping.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!