Upgrade day

Story: Fedora 22 is here!Total Replies: 9
Author Content
penguinist

May 26, 2015
1:59 PM EDT
Well, this is as good a time as any to do the upgrade on my office desktop. As an xfce user I've been itching to check out the new version.

Download complete...
seatex

May 26, 2015
2:45 PM EDT
Let us know how you get on with it. You'll like the new XFCE.
penguinist

May 26, 2015
5:23 PM EDT
Decisions, decisions...

To go see the movie "Tomorrowland" with my wife, or install Fedora 22 on one of my machines...

Solution: I quickly made a dd of the live disk onto a flash drive, grabbed the fully charged ultrabook and wife and went to the movie. Fortunately, the previews ran 20 minutes, more than enough time to finish a fresh installation onto a spare partition. Taking a quick look now at F22/xfce and I like what I see.

Now, the movie is about to start... it's kinda dark in here, looking for the "Send" and standby buttons....
seatex

May 27, 2015
9:52 AM EDT
> penguinist

Your wife is much more understanding than mine. I'm not even allowed to bring my laptop in the bedroom. Please give us a mini-review after you get some play time in.
penguinist

May 27, 2015
11:35 AM EDT
mini-review:

I've been running F22/xfce on my Lenovo ultrabook for nearly 24 hours now, and have been driving both its 13" display as well as my external 39" 3840x2160 high res monitor.

Verdict: Zero issues! This is the most rock solid Fedora release I've seen. Congrats to the Fedora team on a super release!
seatex

May 27, 2015
11:54 AM EDT
Awesome! I guess you like the new XFCE then.
Steven_Rosenber

May 27, 2015
12:04 PM EDT
I'm running F21 with Xfce (and GNOME, though I rarely use it) as my production OS, and it is very, very solid.

I should wait before I upgrade to F22. Let's see how long I can hold out.
penguinist

Jun 01, 2015
5:13 PM EDT
I have to pull back my "Zero issues" praise. It seems that when I upgraded to the latest F22/XFCE that my middle mouse paste function no longer works. This will need to be fixed or it will impact my productivity.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Update: on closer look, an external usb mouse behaves properly with "middle button paste", the problem seems to be that the three finger tap gesture no longer emulates a middle button press on the "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad". Ok, back to my favorite search engine... -->

Update 2: After an even closer look it appears that the problem was my own and no fault of either xfce or the synaptics driver. I like to reuse my /home and an F21 /home running in an F22 environment exhibits this behavior. Letting F22 generate its own ~/.config/xfce4 fixes the problem.

Ok, I'm back to a status of "Zero Issues" with F22/XFCE.

Jun 01, 2015
7:41 PM EDT
I wonder if the issue is with libinput, Penguinist.
penguinist

Jun 01, 2015
8:20 PM EDT
Well, I'm ok now that I've regenerated the .config/xfce4 environment, but it would be a friendly thing if distro upgrades would provide some support for upgrading old /home directories automatically.

Then again, one could argue that the users who have the skills to patch in their old /home's will also have the ability to handle the config upgrades.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!