Emperor Palpatine-like squelching..

Story: Friction Building Around An Ubuntu Community Council DecisionTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
flufferbeer

May 26, 2015
8:44 PM EDT
of all Council members for a tight grip on as many Baboontu planets as possible. Big M$huttleworth has got to do this to prep for WHEN (not if) the impending IPO is released. Ah, the ever-growing Dark Side of the FOSS!

2c
seatex

May 27, 2015
9:42 AM EDT
Uh oh! The Kubuntu community is fully supporting their whipping boy leader! Good for them. Did you see that one coming, Shuttleworth?

Jonathan Riddell gets full support from the Kubuntu community http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/05/26/jonathan-riddell-gets-fu...
gru

May 27, 2015
5:59 PM EDT
Let me see if I can nutshell this, for my own understanding:

Canonical - "Help shape the future of Ubuntu......tell us what to do more of!" < insert coin here >

Riddell - "Guys, where is the money donated to Kubuntu going? Because it sure hasn't hit us yet!"

Canonical - "Yeah it has, we've paid you before... see?"

Riddell - "True enough, but that was just once for a fraction of the amount donated. Where is the rest of it?"

Canonical - < File Not Found >

Riddell - "You guys really need to get your act together, you're a freaking mess!"

Canonical via Ubuntu Council - < Jonathan Riddell banned >

Kubuntu - "Git 'em Riddell!!"

Does that sound about right?
seatex

May 27, 2015
6:12 PM EDT
I think you got it in a nutshell pretty tight there, gru.
BernardSwiss

May 27, 2015
11:44 PM EDT
I haven't been following this, but it's looking like this (as far as I can tell):

... it appears that for some time, Riddell has been seeking answers to another, long-running question namely, whether Canonical will attempt to impose licensing fees or other requirements for downstream distribution of Ubuntu binaries (ie. whether/under what conditions downstream distributions (eg. Linux Mint) can use those binaries).

And apparently Riddell has been asking for clarification on the matter for quite a long time (years?), from a FOSS perspective, and receiving very little meaningful response, aside from some brief corporate-speak a year ago about the lawyers looking into it... and Riddell wasn't prepared to let such transparent fobbing off just slide.

So I get the feeling that some members of the Community Council were indeed feeling very uncomfortable already about dealing with his awkward, inconvenient (but legitimate) questions, when this new matter came up...

Camel, Straw. Straw, Camel.

(If someone has a better understanding, I'm all ears...)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!