30 years too late

Story: Microsoft will support SSHTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
penguinist

Jun 03, 2015
11:49 AM EDT
This would have been a welcome "addition" to MS operating systems 30 years ago. Coming this late in the game is just an acknowledgement from MS that they have totally lost in the fight for the server/cluster/supercomputer space.
jdixon

Jun 03, 2015
12:29 PM EDT
30 years? Win95 didn't even have a tcp/ip stack when it first came out, and that was only 20 years ago.
penguinist

Jun 03, 2015
1:15 PM EDT
jdixon: I sit corrected. ssh goes back 20 years and had 20,000 users by the end of 1995, so you are correct, Microsoft is ONLY 20 years late to the party!

The 30 year number COULD have applied if Microsoft was actually a leader in this space, which they most obviously are NOT.
albinard

Jun 03, 2015
2:34 PM EDT
And what do you suppose they might contribute, in the way of - say - NSA connectivity?
nmset

Jun 03, 2015
3:32 PM EDT
Too suspicious to me also, smells NSA... sabotage... spying...
seatex

Jun 03, 2015
4:33 PM EDT
NSA to Microsoft: Hey guys, we need a little more help from you. Hope it's not too much to ask, but could you put some hooks in Linux for us, like you did with Windows?

Microsoft: We can do that. We'll play nice with their community and tell them we're the "new" Microsoft that wants to help them with interoperability, while we put in some back doors for you guys and claim some future patents for ourselves, like we did with Android.
Koriel

Jun 03, 2015
8:03 PM EDT
@seatex

Thats a very, very, very cynical point of view but I like it :)
nmset

Jun 04, 2015
4:09 AM EDT
>some future patents

System, methods and social engineering to relay anything to a third party : patent MS025Y52-NSA

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!