Let's make it much more prominent!

Story: Who's Afraid of Systemd?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
flufferbeer

Jun 18, 2015
2:46 PM EDT
Buried within the article, Bruce Byfield provides a useful means here of REMOVING the despised systemdevil from your already-installed Debian system, using link http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_syst... . This is very useful until the removal-page somehow gets OBLITERATED by conniving persons trying to completely "improve" it or by their attempts to implore readers (with pro-systemD FUD) not to use its advice :/

That general link to being in a blissful state Without Systemdevil is http://without-systemd.org and you all can BOOKMARK THIS!

2c :)
albinard

Jun 18, 2015
3:46 PM EDT
I'll put it into the file with my links for restoring old Model T's.
notbob

Jun 18, 2015
3:55 PM EDT
The guy makes almost zero sense.

Devuan is derelict in accusing Debian of offering no way to opt out cuz "Debian offers no choice"? Say what!? C'mon, that's pretty much the point, here. No choice! At least Gentoo give you a choice. That's all I ask.

And what's this,, "how it would work in practice is obscure"? What? Binary log files are not obscure? And howzabout his argument that "major distributions offer multiple desktop environments". Really? How long is that gonna last?

It occurs to me folks are not so much afraid of what systemd is now, but what it may become. 8|
notbob

Jun 18, 2015
4:04 PM EDT
> I'll put it into the file with my links for restoring old Model T's.

Not to bend/fold/mutilate yer point, but let us not forget the Model T was originally meant to operate on bio-fuels. Seems to me that concept is where we may be headed, once more. ;)
theBeez

Jun 18, 2015
4:10 PM EDT
It's not the first time Bruce is babbling away to make a paycheck. There are no substantiated arguments here - as usual. I'm done wasting my time with this guy.

Jun 19, 2015
2:04 AM EDT
And the systemd PR machine keeps on chugging, complete withe whole "one program doing one thing" windmill...

Recently i have found myself wondering if those that push systemd has confused the software with the distro.

This in that they (perhaps rightly) claim you can't make a generic distro (may be right if you limit your view to distros offering precompiled software), but then use that claim as a argument for making highly specialized, and tightly interconnected, software.

Nope, sorry. The potency of *nix has always been that you had loosely interconnected generic parts that could be assembled to do highly specialized tasks.

This you could build anything from a minimal combo of kernel and shell all the way to some massive, multi-process, beast.

Never mind that i worry that too much development right now is happening from the desktop down, rather than the kernel up. Thus you end up with various issues of myopia, like ignoring that *nix is inherently multi user. And therefore creating systems that do not play well when having more than one active user. This in turn leading to recreations of functionality that could just as easily be done using multiple user accounts and a means of talking to each other.

Ok, rant out...
CFWhitman

Jun 19, 2015
11:25 AM EDT
I don't mind the way systemd initializes a system, as long as you can swap it out if or when it becomes troublesome. What I don't like about it is how it makes a lot of formerly interchangeable parts not interchangeable anymore. The init system has always been easy to swap out in the past. What good reason is there for making it a task as large as replacing X with Wayland (the direction systemd seems to be headed)? We all see how quick and easy that is. The systems that are hard to make interchangeable are enough to deal with. I don't like seeing a system that's relatively easy to make interchangeable purposely made not interchangeable.

I do suspect that after Poettering moves on the the next 'shiny' project that catches his attention more reasonable developers will take over and make systemd into something more manageable. Look at how much PulseAudio has improved since others have taken over development. Of course if systemd manages to keep Poettering's attention indefinitely, then we may have problems for quite a long time.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!