Russians and Spyware

Story: BAN Windows 10, it SPIES too much, exclaim RussiansTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
seatex

Aug 24, 2015
4:43 PM EDT
Secretly, the Russians are envious of the spy tech employed in Windows 10 and the spy grid we now have with the NSA.

In other news, the US was recently dropped to #20 among the freest countries in the world. It was in the Top 10 before Snowden.
penguinist

Aug 24, 2015
8:41 PM EDT
I read a report today from a father who received an unsolicited "family report" email from Microsoft with a full accounting of his son's Internet activity including a list of sites visited and the amount of time he spent in each of the apps that he ran. The father had set up a Microsoft account for the family's xbox and Microsoft apparently assumed that this gave them the right to accumulate Win10 activity history and email it to the father. This happened within two days of the Win10 upgrade on the son's computer.

To me this practise is amazingly bold.

It leads also to the question, what is Microsoft doing with such detailed reporting if the target is not a child but is an adult. I suppose in that case no family report is sent out and only the NSA gets to see your activity log.

Never again will I "dual-boot". Windows is HISTORY on all my machines, and I will be active in helping others to see their way toward the freedom and security of Linux.
Ridcully

Aug 25, 2015
6:07 AM EDT
Quoting:The complaint to the Russian Prosecutor General’s Office argues that Windows 10 collects user information in a way that violates Russian laws. Moscow-based Bubnov and Partners contended that the collection of passwords, location data, typed texts and browsing history and the uploading of the information to Microsoft’s cloud violate Russian privacy legislation.

Okay.....the article may be simply "sensational", but the text from the article that I have quoted above, if true, will run foul of privacy and possibly security regulations all over the world.

Assuming it IS true, then I am one with penguinist.....never, never will Windows 10 get onto any of my computers.

What Microsoft may, repeat, may have done, is virtually sabotage of a user's privacy and security - well, that's my opinion anyway. As for logging my keystrokes - would anyone trust Microsoft's Win10 to permit them to log into their bank accounts ? Just asking. (Mind you, I don't use Windows anyhow. - LOL).
albinard

Aug 25, 2015
12:17 PM EDT
> "This happened within two days of the Win10 upgrade on the son's computer."

Which means that whether or not some previous arrangement had been made that did not do such reporting, W10 independently chose to institute a new arrangement, presumably without the consent of the "owner" (HA!) of the machine.

Windows became HISTORY on all my machines two years ago, but I try to keep up with the Microsoft Mayhem. If nothing else, it has led to a number of people who have asked me how long it took me to start using Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!