Gratifying to see someone else makes this point

Story: KDE's Plasma 5.4: The most advanced and beautiful Linux desktopTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Ridcully

Aug 27, 2015
5:42 AM EDT
Quoting:What I don't like about Plasma

Nothing is perfect and Plasma is no exception. I would like to see Kmail get some developer love and become much easier to use. It's far too complicated to get started with Kmail.

The main points of my series of articles on KDE were first the mess created by Nepomuk, but second the huge problem of KMail. How sad that the KMail developers STILL haven't begun seriously to address the problem. I still recall the reaction of the KMail developers when I contacted them with my concerns. Their reaction by implication of the response I received was that I was to "shove off and pull my head in because they were gonna do what they wanted to do and how would I as a user know what was needed in KMail ?" Looks like they STILL haven't learnt that it is the users that should be catered for, not their satisfaction in software development.....But, I've said all this before and it fell on deaf ears. Those ears are still apparently deaf. Silly boys.
helios

Sep 04, 2015
3:54 PM EDT
The Kmail thing is a nightmare Tony...I realize that. But what I am seeing more and more is our Reglue Kids having Gmail accounts. Now, in my book, that's just swapping one demon possession for the other, with Kmail at least. I like the idea of a mail Klient (sorry) being part of the KDE infrastructure, but having it work would also be nice. It is painful to see that all of your work and research was ignored. Hey, I've got an idea...let's find a school teacher who...oh wait. That's probably not a good idea. It didn't work out so well the last time it happened.

I am though, looking forward to the new Plasma. The changes I see so far are not changes made in the name of change. At least not the ones I've watched develop. I'm not a tester or anything that's close to a tester, but I am watching development closely. Maybe they will fix Kmail by mistake.

Weirder things have happened.

Ridcully

Sep 04, 2015
5:17 PM EDT
Hi Ken.....good to hear from you. In my humble opinion, KMail still remains a nightmare. I just tried it out in openSUSE 13.1 and once more it refuses to accept a password unless it is stored in KWallet, and KWallet begins to interfere seriously with some of the applications you are running such as either Firefox or Chrome. And then don't get me started again on how KMail now stores its files and the mucky way it goes about retrieving them.

I remain very firmly with the conclusion that if you want a good personal email client that can be "tweaked" to pretty much resemble and run like KMail, then Thunderbird is the way to go. And that is so disappointing with respect to KMail......Right now, I am still running openSUSE 11.4 with KMail purring away traditionally - and it's great. Naughty I know, but if it all works and you like what it does, then sensu the family motto of Lord Vetinari (Terry Pratchett) "Si non confectus, non reficiat" (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).

I have a gmail account......I rarely use it.....open it up to see what rubbish has accumulated every couple of months or so and then close it again. I never refer people to its address. I'm not a "cloud" person and I remain tied to the concept of enjoying MY files on MY computer with MY backup system in place. Gmail doesn't attract me in any way.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!