I'm pleased with Fedora 23

Story: What’s new in Fedora 23 WorkstationTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
cybertao

Nov 04, 2015
5:01 AM EDT
I have used Debian and related distributions most of my GNU/Linux life, but have tried others. On a whim I switched to Fedora 22 a number of months ago as I'd never seen how the other half lives. I found 22 to be good, but hit a few stability issues as time went on. I persevered to give it a fair go as non of the issues were show stoppers, troubleshooting and waiting for 23 before switching back to my comfort zone.

I just upgraded to 23 and found immediately that it's more snappy. Time will tell if all of my issues have been resolved but find it very promising.
penguinist

Nov 04, 2015
9:46 AM EDT
I tried using the new Fedora dnf upgrade method yesterday on my Lenovo ultrabook. Of course I made a dd image backup of my current /dev/sda in advance just for insurance, but the upgrade was perfect with no issues whatsoever. This release appears to be pretty solid.
cybertao

Nov 04, 2015
5:43 PM EDT
I did the same and was impressed with the upgrade procedure myself. I haven't looked into how they do it, but Feodora's method of rebooting into a dedicated environment for updates and upgrades is very slick.
rahulsundaram

Nov 04, 2015
7:10 PM EDT
@cybertao, The details are described in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DNF_System_Upgrades. It uses a combination of dnf plugin to download and systemd functionality to upgrade in a special mode designed for upgrades

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/SystemUpdat...
cybertao

Nov 04, 2015
10:17 PM EDT
Cheers, that kicked the apathy out of me and was worth reading. :) I'm loving Fedora 23 and will be sticking with it.

Nov 04, 2015
10:24 PM EDT
I guess thats one way to fix having systemd kill a long running update process...
rahulsundaram

Nov 05, 2015
6:52 PM EDT
@750, The upgrade related services already had a longer timeout which can be controlled on a per unit level. It doesn't require the upgrade mode. The upgrade goes beyond that and creates a minimal environment that makes upgrading the components more robust. Essentially a souped up runlevel.
jdixon

Nov 05, 2015
9:28 PM EDT
> The upgrade goes beyond that and creates a minimal environment that makes upgrading the components more robust.

So Red Hat has recreated WinPE for Linux?
rahulsundaram

Nov 05, 2015
10:59 PM EDT

WinPE does a lot of things including memory diagnostics, automatic recovery and so on. The upgrade mode in systemd is similar to a runlevel. A package manager can use it to upgrade regular packages. Nothing more. dracut does provide a minimal initrd for recovery but it is independent functionality.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!