I'll make a stab at it

Story: Ubuntu Touch Could Get WiFi Display Support to Help Turn the Phone into a PC More EasilyTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
notbob

Nov 18, 2015
3:41 PM EDT
Who are these ppl?? And why do we need convergence?

I have a cheapo ad-roid Tracfone. I've never even signed up with Gobble, so have no connection with those ppl or their lame apps/storage/mail. Also, due to the ever increasing vulnerability of ad-roid platforms, I've turned off any data ability. Still, my cheapo (discontinued!) Tracfone has wifi, which allows me to "pair" with my stupid (Roku) TV. I cannot "dock"(?) with my desktop PC from my cellphone and I'm not sure I want to. The only access I want is to ssh from my cellphone to my desktop, like an old Nokia. Without wifi, I cannot.

So, why is Canon-fodder trying to make all hardware interlinked before they even provide interconnectivity? Do they plan on installing a CAT5 jack on their Touch cellphones? Are these folks really so stupid or is it merely a planned oversight to lure service providers with a possible income stream?
penguinist

Nov 18, 2015
4:36 PM EDT
I think I'm seeing your point notbob. As far as I'm concerned everything useful can be done over an ssh pipe. I have no need for any special purpose "dumbed down" interfaces. The Microsofties need pretty icons to click on, all I want is a big pipe and a cli. My custom tailored scripts can take it from there.
notbob

Nov 18, 2015
7:50 PM EDT
Thank you fer mending my thread title, LXer admins.

I started with a working title ("I'll make a stab at it"??), but it somehow got deleted when I was "Preview"-ing my article. ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!