Sigh, first Lenovo, now Dell.

Story: Dell Compromises Customers’ Security with Pre-Installed RootkitTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
jdixon

Nov 25, 2015
1:55 PM EDT
When are computer manufacturers going to start taking user security into account in their decision making process?
penguinist

Nov 25, 2015
2:52 PM EDT
The answer is: Computer manufacturers will take notice when more users express their outrage over such abuses.

As long as users are sheep, they can be herded at will.
seatex

Nov 26, 2015
11:18 AM EDT
I vote with my wallet. I just wish everyone else would do the same.
albinard

Nov 26, 2015
11:46 AM EDT
And don't forget Microsoft's "accidental" insertion of privacy-cancelling features in Windows 10.

I wonder how many of these latest snoop enablers are the work of the three-letter agencies who are so proudly acting for the nation (but against its Constitution)?
seatex

Nov 26, 2015
12:13 PM EDT
> I wonder how many of these latest snoop enablers are the work of the three-letter agencies who are so proudly acting for the nation (but against its Constitution)?

Yep. Web cameras that don't actually shut off, even though they indicate they do, and Intel CPUs that don't fully shut off as long as the power supply is plugged in, and can bring a system back on.
penguinist

Nov 26, 2015
12:19 PM EDT
It's a good time to be unapologetically paranoid.
alc

Nov 26, 2015
3:34 PM EDT
"It's a good time to be unapologetically paranoid."

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
gus3

Nov 26, 2015
6:01 PM EDT
But it is paranoid to think they're conspiring at it.
albinard

Nov 26, 2015
7:14 PM EDT
"But it is paranoid to think they're conspiring at it."

Sure it isn't naive to think they aren't?
gus3

Nov 29, 2015
4:22 PM EDT
I'd say that's giving them too much credit. In light of events the last five years, I doubt they could hide it that long.
patrokov

Dec 07, 2015
5:23 PM EDT
>>Yep. Web cameras that don't actually shut off, even though they indicate they do, and Intel CPUs that don't fully shut off as long as the power supply is plugged in, and can bring a system back on.

That's why my desktop has an external USB webcam that I manually disconnect.

The second is a really useful feature if you don't want you computer on all the time but still want to be able to access it. Of course I've never gotten it to work right, so I just leave it on all the time. Of course it's NOT useful when you really do want it to be off.
gus3

Dec 08, 2015
2:58 PM EDT
FWIW, the Raspberry Pi's BCM270{8,9} doesn't fully shut off either. For a "halt," it just goes into an infinite loop on the GPU.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!