Confused ? You won't be after the next edition of.....

Story: Why Microsoft yanked its latest Windows 10 update download: It hijacked privacy settingsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Ridcully

Nov 26, 2015
3:34 AM EDT
There was a tv series which always either ended or began with my thread title. Can't remember which it was for certain, but I think it was "Soap". For some reason, that statement came back to haunt me as I read the article.

Then, after I read the article, I quietly wondered why anyone with a smidgeon of common sense would ever, ever put Windows10 onto a computer......Next, for some reason, I began (only began, I might add) to read the comments attached to the Register's article. And nearly collapsed in cynical laughter.......Confusion and backbiting reign supreme together with a bit of "good old crudity" now and then - and these are supposedly dedicated Win users ? Thank goodness both ladies and gentlemen who debate and discuss on LXer really ARE "ladies and gentlemen" in polite conduct. Oh, I did note one person who is now seriously looking at Linux due to his experiences with Win10. How delicious !

Update: Yes it was "Soap" but the intro was actually: "Confused? You won't be, after this week's episode of...Soap."
seatex

Nov 26, 2015
11:15 AM EDT
I rescued my parents from Windows 10. I replaced Windows 8.1 with Linux Mint on their desktop.

My dad keeps telling me he loves how much faster the computer is running. They have been using it for 2 weeks now - zero issues.
Ridcully

Nov 26, 2015
5:18 PM EDT
Thanks seatex.....For many, many years, my main OS has been openSUSE, but I am very, very tempted now to ditch it completely and move to Mint. Which window manager would you recommend, KDE, Gnome, or what ?
DrGeoffrey

Nov 26, 2015
10:47 PM EDT
Interesting. I'm a fan of KDE exploring moving from Mint/Netrunner to OpenSuse LEAP. Would you be willing to list your reasons for considering the change.
Ridcully

Nov 27, 2015
3:00 AM EDT
Sorry DrGeoffrey, it's a little hazy at the moment and my comment was one of those "on the spur of the moment" things. I have already downloaded a 64bit copy of openSUSE Leap and was contemplating installing it. The thing is that I love YaST and KDE in openSUSE is always engineered to near perfection. My complaints are really that you have got to fight a little bit to get openSUSE running the way you want......It doesn't supply you with libdvdcss for instance or the batch of codecs that are needed for VLC to get up and run properly. You can get them of course, and the last time I was playing with MAD, I found there was a repository label for a complete set of codecs for openSUSE at an "illegal repository" that was nevertheless listed in the "official lists for openSUSE". And of course, Mint does this automatically.

On the downside, I am used to the installation processes of .rpm, not .deb and I am completely as the babes in the wood as regards the Mint installation processes for additional software - (any readers who start laughing at my lack of knowledge and begin to tell me how easy it is are warned that they may come under the curse of a thousand fleas infesting their armpits and arms too short to scratch them.).......And all my important backup software is all in .rpm. Also on the downside is the fact that KDE has (in my humble opinion) totally mucked up KMail with its insistence on the semantic desktop software and, bless it......KWallet.

Oh the heck with it.......I'll probably eventually give Leap a whirl first because I still know the basic framework of the OS.....but I truly really have got to give Mint a whirl.....it sounds great too.

Dunno if that helps, but there we are.......For heaven's sakes, install Leap, then we can both tell each other what we found, and I'll have to get off me bottom and do something as well. Cheers and great to natter to you. R.
seatex

Nov 27, 2015
9:42 AM EDT
> Which window manager would you recommend, KDE, Gnome, or what ?

With Mint, I prefer Cinnamon on newer systems. But MATE and XFCE are also great!

Cinnamon has great dual monitor support on Mint 17.3 out-of-the-box!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!