Command line equivalents too

Story: Installing sbopkg with Slackware 14.1Total Replies: 5
Author Content
frankiej

Jan 16, 2016
10:36 PM EDT
sbopkg also has command line options for a lot of its functionality as well (it could be "most" but I haven't done a comparison). Those can be useful to quickly download and build packages without having to navigate through the menus to do so.
jdixon

Jan 16, 2016
10:50 PM EDT
> ... sbopkg also has command line options for a lot of its functionality

I believe almost all of it's functionality is available from the command line. The man pages covers the details.

However, this article was intended as a quick why and how guide for those who don't have the time or inclination to compile their own packages, but would like to expand the range of packages available for Slackware. Those people probably will prefer the dialog/ncurses interface.

This is the first of what I hope to be several Slackware oriented articles, and since some of them will cover software available via Slackbuilds.org, I thought it best to start with a quick write up on sbopkg.
seatex

Jan 16, 2016
11:09 PM EDT
Being only an occassional Slackware user - occassionally setting up Slackware systems for a client - I find sbopkg to be a great time-saver. I have also used Salix instead of Slackware as well, as it is compatible and even simpler to setup.
jdixon

Jan 16, 2016
11:56 PM EDT
> I have also used Salix instead of Slackware as well, as it is compatible and even simpler to setup.

Salix is a very good Slackware derivative which includes sbopkg and integrates it into their package installation options.
frankiej

Jan 17, 2016
1:52 AM EDT
> However, this article was intended as a quick why and how guide

Completely understood, I was just adding the comment because I had been using sbopkg for so long and never read the man page until recently and realized I had options :)

> This is the first of what I hope to be several Slackware oriented articles,

Looking forward to them!

richarson

Jan 17, 2016
2:31 PM EDT
@jdxon, my case is exactly the reverse, I've been using sbopkg for over a year and only recently found out it has a ncurses interface :)

Looking forward to more Slack articles!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!