Sailfish - Meego

Story: The Turing Phone Drops Android For Sailfish OSTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
penguinist

Feb 03, 2016
2:24 PM EDT
Actually, another Android phone would strike me as being pretty ho-hum seeing that there is already a vast selection of mature Android products to choose from.

A Sailfish/Meego product, on the other hand, would be exciting to me. My current phone is a Nokia N9 running Meego/Harmattan. You probably remember the splendid products from Nokia before they were sabotaged by Microsoft? The N9 was the closest to a Linux-phone I could find at the time. I'll most likely stay with the N9 as long as the hardware lasts.
notbob

Feb 03, 2016
2:36 PM EDT
Agree!!

I couldn't be happier. I'm so sick of Android domination and I don't have an old N9. Ubuntu Touch is dragging its feet and we need a true Linux-based smartphone, soon. It's been promised fer yrs, yet no one delivers. Let's hope TPI is different.

OTOH, I can sympathize with Android funder's. It's like a case of bait and switch. You pay for one thing and get another. I don't think we've seen the last of this issue. 8|

Feb 04, 2016
12:46 PM EDT
IMO there is not much left of the Maemo/Meego lineage in Sailfish.
notbob

Feb 04, 2016
3:22 PM EDT
> IMO there is not much left of the Maemo/Meego lineage in Sailfish.

This is a bad thing?

Jes give me a CLI and and root privileges and I'll be happy. Right now, I can't even find acct info on my Trac/Android phone.

Also, I don't see any security patches fer Android exploits and why should any vendor provide them. Easier to jes phase out that older model phone and introduce a new one. It boils down to, if you wanna update yer security, buy a this new model phone!

penguinist

Feb 04, 2016
4:48 PM EDT
Quoting:give me a CLI and and root privileges and I'll be happy

Now it's my turn to shout: Agree!!

I don't really care about the details of Sailfish or Meego as long as I have an open source solution that gives me control of my device.

On several occasions I have started to try to gain control of an Android device and each time I have given up before reaching a point that I would call a success. Sure, it is easy to root an Android phone, but don't you find it ironic that the su program that most Android users use for rooting their phones is CLOSED software!!!!! Chainfire's SuperSU which millions of Android users rely on is closed. Sheesh, with that I'm just moving from Google having control of my device over to a situation where the author of a proprietary program has control of my device. In neither case do I have control of MY own device. Not a good situation at all.

I notice that there is a project underway to attempt to correct this and bring an open source solution to su on Android.

jdixon

Feb 04, 2016
5:04 PM EDT
> I don't really care about the details of Sailfish or Meego as long as I have an open source solution that gives me control of my device.

I refuse to get my hopes up, but: http://www.zdnet.com/article/here-comes-the-first-ubuntu-lin...

LXer already has an article about it in news stories: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=225391

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!