Where's the Linux??

Story: Archery company sues LARPer over patents, then files gag motion to silence himTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
notbob

Feb 20, 2016
4:50 PM EDT
Both Apple vs FBI and this legal nonsense have absolutely nothing to do with Linux. If LXer is gonna start posting non-Linux issues, let me know. It's fine by me --yer ball-- but then, any and all subjects must be related to Linux. ;)
caitlynm

Feb 22, 2016
5:47 PM EDT
LXer has always posted non-Linux issues if the editors believe that they are of interest to the community. This is nothing new.
BernardSwiss

Feb 22, 2016
8:16 PM EDT
For what it's worth (as the poster of the article) I think that the functioning of our "Intellectual Property" milieu (or should I say, the mis-functioning of our IP milieu) is a topic of inherent interest to an audience concerned with FOSS matters.

Isn't this what the "Free" (and "Open Source") in 'FOSS' are referring to? Isn't that why we care about GPL, Apache, BSD and other licences? Does anybody think that software is somehow immune from these sorts of issues, or that Free Software developers and users can afford to ignore the implications?

Aren't stories like these a good way to show non-techies how messed-up the situation is, and why this stuff matters?

Linus Torvalds might not care about this sort of thing (it's his main flaw as a leader in the Linux world), but Richard Stallman certainly does. The Debian Project, the FSF, Mozilla Foundation, and many others most certainly do, as well -- as should anyone who produces FOSS software (including, of course, any Linux distro).

It may be "legal nonsense" -- but it is certainly pertinent to our interests and concerns. In fact, I would argue that in the long term, it's more pertinent to our interests than most of the purely "technical" matters we spend most of our time on.
notbob

Feb 23, 2016
4:00 PM EDT
> pertinent to our interests.....

Whose interests? Can I post about guitar amps? Howzabout if they are Apple guitar amps?

Perhaps we should rename LXer to Pertinent To Our Interests. ;)

dotmatrix

Feb 23, 2016
4:08 PM EDT
>Can I post about guitar amps? Howzabout if they are Apple guitar amps?

Already done... but not Apple brand...

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/224076/index.html
jdixon

Feb 23, 2016
4:54 PM EDT
> Whose interests? Can I post about guitar amps? Howzabout if they are Apple guitar amps?

Sure. No guarantee the moderators will approve them, but you can always post them to the queue. It's up to you to make the connection to open source/free software compelling enough for them to approve the post. An open hardware guitar amp that could be 3d printed for instance. I'm sure that would get their approval. :)
CFWhitman

Feb 23, 2016
5:32 PM EDT
I believe that "our interests and concerns" was a reference to the interests of Free / Open Source software. In this case, since patents are involved it could be relevant to software patents. Anything you might find that is somehow related to Linux and Open Source software in general could appear as long as it was clear how it related, even if that's only in principle.
notbob

Feb 23, 2016
5:49 PM EDT
As usual, jdixon provides a safe and sane rejoinder.

Thank you, jd. I completely forgot the renaissance faire connection. ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!