What are the Skype servers running?

Story: Skype for Linux Breaks. People Blame Microsoft. Are We Surprised?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Feb 29, 2016
10:15 PM EDT
Am I mistaken in thinking that they run on Linux?

In which case why is it supposedly so difficult to run the clients on Linux, too? (Not that I believe there's any reason (or excuse) why it should be any problem for Microsoft's resources to support Skype-on-Linux-clients properly, either way).
dotmatrix

Feb 29, 2016
11:17 PM EDT
@BernardSwiss:

The server is authenticating and passing traffic, it doesn't need to capture or render the video or audio.

I don't use Skype and the article is scant on the details regarding 'why Skype isn't working' ...

It's possible the application has embedded certificates that have expired...

I don't really want to sift through 4 million reddit pages to find out - it would be nice to have a summary of the noted problems.
DrGeoffrey

Mar 01, 2016
6:34 PM EDT
I don't have the time either.

For me, it boils down to one simple observation: If MS's name is on it, it breaks (period).

Excuses, reasons, justifications, or whatever, the main point remains the same.

With all their resources, one might think MS should do something about that problem. But, as long as people keep willingly shoveling cash to MS for cr@p, what incentive is there for MS to change?
flufferbeer

Mar 06, 2016
1:11 PM EDT
@DrGeoffrey,

>> With all their resources, one might think MS should do something about that problem. But, as long as people keep willingly shoveling cash to MS for cr@p, what incentive is there for MS to change?

Not much incentive to change, despite its called-for "Embracing" of Open Source (EEE!) Because M$ has Big Scary Lawyers (remember its Patent Threats of past years?) to bludgeon competitors and also still has remaining "mindshare" left to encaptivate the sheeple......

2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!