Free Software on the phone?

Story: Is It Time For Desktop Linux To Focus On Niche Applications And Stop Obsessing About Flashy GUIs?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Mar 03, 2016
1:43 AM EDT
how much of that work on the phone is done with free software?

if you are using android then there is f-droid with a nice selection, but if you have anything else, then there is nothing. or well, there might be something, but i can't tell. none of the install options tell me the license of the application i am getting.

even on a supposedly more freedom oriented system like Firefox OS or Tizen, none of the markets available say anything about licensing.

another response to the article is the old "what works for you doesn't work for everyone".

personally i try to use the phone as little as possible. phone calls, sms, audio. everything else only in an emergency. if i need directions and didn't have time to look them up before leaving, tethering if there is no other internet access available.

when i am commuting, i enjoy the fact that i am off the grid. no email, no instant messaging, no disruption. listen to scifi audio or tech talks (devchat, 5by5)

when i am stressed then i am really looking forward to that 1 hour ride on bus and subway. to the point that i miss it when i am working at home.

side benefit: i recharge my phone once every 4 or 5 days.

greetings, eMBee.
flufferbeer

Mar 06, 2016
12:09 PM EDT
@mbaerhlxer,

>> when i am commuting, i enjoy the fact that i am off the grid. no email, no instant messaging, no disruption. listen to scifi audio or tech talks (devchat, 5by5) when i am stressed then i am really looking forward to that 1 hour ride on bus and subway. to the point that i miss it when i am working at home.

Good for nap-time, free-thought-time away from both office staff and immediate family matters!

2c
flufferbeer

Mar 06, 2016
1:04 PM EDT
Another nifty thing to do when commuting is to actually directly read one of them ancient paper-printed things called "a newspaper", "a magazine", or "a book" (all NON e-whatever!)

Remember those? ;)

2c
notbob

Mar 06, 2016
1:19 PM EDT
> Remember those?

You mean those dead-tree scrolls that have even more adverts than online --if that's possible-- yet are now charging $2.50 per copy ....per day! Howzabout those magazines going fer $6-$8 a month, each?

Despite my being an former fanatical newsprint reader, my wallet is trying hard to forget them.
penguinist

Mar 06, 2016
1:37 PM EDT
Actually I've gone exactly in the opposite direction -- totally paperless.

books, manuals, maps, photos, financial documents, receipts, correspondence, ... everything gets scanned and shredded.

While I used to have to carry a suitcase of paper books during travels, my entire library now fits on a 32GB tablet. I can understand the nostalgia around paper and I still keep several of those around for old-time-sake, but in a practical sense, the electrons sure do weigh a lot less. :)
flufferbeer

Mar 06, 2016
3:03 PM EDT
@notbob, @penguinist

Dunno, guess that I'm completely different from yourselves as one of those who sometimes LIKES not having your typical geolocating/tracking software constantly monitoring me around for the PAPERBOUND literature I own and read. Really nice to completely avoid the Spam/Adware/Spyware and various server-hacking exploits that go around by my "being off the grid". Also, even in the ads for printed newspapers and magazines, I NEVER either get Pop-up ads or cookie-acceptance demands. Besides, who's to say that once a particular online content-provider corners the market (e.g., NY Times, WS Journal, ...etc) that they won't eventually DRASTICALLY raise their prices?

fb
mbaehrlxer

Mar 07, 2016
1:10 AM EDT
i used to occasionally carry a book around to read, and i still do on longer trips, although most times i forget to read it. listening to something is so much easier, and i can do it while walking...

greetings, eMBee.
dotmatrix

Mar 07, 2016
10:27 AM EDT
I read all my books in paper form. I can't accidentally reformat it. No one can remotely delete it from hands. And I like to take notes in the margins...

Although, the little kids around here do have a tendency to drool on some of the pages. So I stack my important texts on top of oscilloscope and the RPi projects on top of that -- naturally. Where else could they go?
mbaehrlxer

Mar 07, 2016
9:40 PM EDT
the little kids around here have a tendency to play submarine with my phone and rip paper to shreds. i don't know which is worse.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!